ceiling fan installation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Socalrudy

I have a double wide and want to put a ceiling fan in the dining room. Because of the ceiling (about 7-8 foot high) I will put in a flush mounted fan. My question is I have a roof and then tin and then ceiling panel. With no wood to support the fan, what should I do? My brother suggested a box mount on the roof and then put a pipe with all thread through the roof to the ceiling and mount fan to that. Then caulk the hell out of the mount box. Does this sound feasible?
thanks,
john
I am living my white trash dream of owning a mobile home and my parents couldn't be prouder.
Robert

Hi,

Going to move this to mobile home repair forum for more views and answers.

There are a couple options, the one you asked about not being one of them.

Please follow it over there.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

Check the articles section of the site, there is an article dealing with fan installation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Here is a solution I usually use for fans in mobile home ceilings, especially homes with 1x2 and 2x2 trusses. I will cut a 19" x 19" square of plywood and mount it across two trusses. A hole can be cut in the middle of the plywood for the fan electrical box. A short piece of 2x4 can be threaded through this hole (after slight modification - angle cut the sides) to be used to screw the electrical box to. Drill a 1" hole for wire or run the wire. The 2x4 can be fastened with glue and brads. The electrical box can be attached to the 2x4 with 1 1/2" screws. Trim the edges of the plywood with quarter round and paint the wood the ceiling color or color of your choice. If you want to stain the wood instead of paint, you can buy 24" x 24" pieces of oak plywood at most home stores. Makes for a nicer looking stain job.

Now the fan weight is supported by 2 trusses and the box can be mounted with 4 screws to make it stable. That is how I do it. I do not use the adjustable fan bar on 1x2 and 2x2 trusses. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.