extending existing eaves

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

heraldhamster

sorry if this is in the wrong spot (I didn't think it should go in 'Decorating, Landscaping & Gardening' as it's a structural change to the house) and/or if this has been addressed in the past. I tried a search with several different combinations of terms with no results.

we're new-ish owners (two months ago) of a 1,500 sq. ft. double wide built & installed in '86.
what I'd like to do is add anywhere from 3 to 6 feet of roof eaves on both the front and back, especially over the exterior doors and our back deck. there is minimal overhang now at about 3-4 inches. new shingles were installed in the last five years, and it has what seem to be 2x2 trusses in the "attic" space.

has anyone done anything similar and if so, I'd love to hear what you did.

my reasons are basically b/c our guttering was extremely p*ss-poor and during a heavy downpour several weeks ago, I 'un-installed' them b/c they weren't functioning as they should. water was cascading over the lip of the gutters and down our siding and I'm sure there's been some damage already. yes, yes, I know they're supposed to be cleaned out and they had been.

we'd like to, for now, remain gutterless, but I want to get and keep the rain away from the footing and further away from our siding. (French drains will come later)

IMHO there are numerous advantages to having more eave overhang on any type of house. water has a damaging effect on almost anything and everything it touches, natural or man made. so, I'd like to get it away from our house.

we've already considered the natural light infiltration, etc. we want less of that anyway. we have several skylights already with plans to install more. or solatubes, anyway.

I'm all about simple but I want durable and highly functional as well. being in severe, NW WA state (we're 6 miles from the Canadian border) we do see some freezing temps (and plenty of rain) and I'd like to prevent both water AND ice working it's way back up into the existing roof by capillary action.

thanks for any & all ideas and input,
...jm.