staple mistake from factory

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

neubmj

I bought my home with the hall bathroom gutted and it is almost complete. I found a staple in the pipe that goes to the shower head and did not think it was leaking, but I was going to replace it anyway. Well, while connecting the faucets to the tub through the wall in the bedroom, I put my hand through the bedroom floor. Suprise! it has been leaking for some time, probably from day one. The subfloor, OSB, is rotten all the way out to the rim joist. Anyway, my plan is to remove the 2x4's in the inside wall that have been wet and the subfloor and replace with 2x4 and plywood. I know enough to get it done and have it last, but I have not worked on a MH too often so are there any sugestions as to a superior materal to use (marine grade plywood?) or something to look out for? If it makes a difference it was built in 1994 with 2x6 outer walls. i think it has 2x8 joists, but i will check while i am there! Also, while i am asking, from what i have seen on a few other MH I have been under there are a few "helper" rods going from the I-beam to a floor joist, usually under doors. Mine has lots of them, welded in, from the I-beam to the rim joist, maybe 20 on each side of the house. Is this normal by some manufactures, or do you think there was an issue at some time and these were added on? beside this and another hole in the subfloor from a leak around the water line for the ice maker, the house iseems to be in great condition

Thanks again,
Mark
Greg

OSB?? that is unusual, most are partial board that dissolve when water hits it.

Marine plywood would be great, but I think a major case of overkill. Regular Plywood is the way to go if the wallet allows or OSB at the least.

It sounds like you may have outriggers, this is standard on some makes, optional on some, nonexistent on some. At any rate they are a GOOD thing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."