Closet Doors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I am having a problem replacing my closet doors, I have the type that are 4 feet wide and 80 inches tall and slide, the closet is 8ft wide and it has 2 of these type doors.

I am looking for a kit to make new ones or buy replacements. The only thing I have found is for 6 ft wide closets not 8 ft wide.

I appreciate anyones help in this matter.
Maureen

Hi akfireman,

You should be able to find these at any home store. Now, I have to admit that I haven't been out shopping for closet doors recently. But, I do know that these sliders are still quite common in stick builts. They come in all sorts of sizes.

Since you haven't created a profile, I can't give you much more info. Your location, would at least help.

Another option, if you have the room for them, is louvered doors. I have the mirrored, sliding doors. They are a pain to keep clean! I know that they make the rooms look larger, but both are a decent size. I don't recommend the mirrored closet doors.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

I used to to be able to get a closet door kit from a local mobile home parts retailer. They have closed down the store now. The kit was the frame and rails for slider closet doors, where you supply the 4x8 wall panel for the door (cut to size). They were very inexpensive and was pretty much what the home came with from factory. I did a quick search of the usually online mobile home parts retailers and did not see this product. You may be able to find it with a search on closet doors. I am off to paint a home, or I would continue looking for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have looked at both Lowes and Home Depot and they only carry mirrored doors for 6 ft. and the louvered folding doors go up to 36 inches, so I could possibly use 4-24 inch sets but I dont like that idea.

The kit that JD describes is exactly what I am looking for, but I havent seen one at any of the online mobile/modular home parts suppliers, so after being a reader of these boards for years, I have decided to become part of the goup and ask for help.

anyway thanks again for the help.
Yanita

Welcome aboard!

We can help you much better when you become part of the family, opposed to being a lurker! :D

Look forward to your participation !

Unfortunately I do not have any grand ideas for replacing these doors short of making your own.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

this may sound strange, but I wondered if you could do curtains instead of a door? The doors function to hide stuff from sight, and keep the sunlight from fading your clothes. curtains can do the same thing.

if you get metal pipe and suppport it in the middle while attaching at each end, it should not sag. You could then put two curtains on it.

it would give you lots of color choices, and if you use curtain rings, they should open easily. sheets may be a good source of material that is large enough.

Brenda

ps: personally, I hate closet doors, I could not keep them on the tracks. I took mine off, and installed storage units in the closet that are like milk crates. The closet doors were recyled into tables in my office by laying them across file cabinets...

we have thought of that after seeing it on HGTV although they used wire, either way would work, my thoughts are that I would like to sell in the next couple of years and that is my motivation for doors. thanks for the suggestion though, I will talk to the boss and that may be an option that would be quick and inexpensive.
JD
Site Admin

Here is one place that sells the closet door kits. Page down a couple of times to get to the prices.

http://www.arcadiaindustries.com/kdtablenew.html

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.