Stick It and Forget It.....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peachlizard

I was just reading in my online manual about the mobile home addition tips and the use of stick it and forget it membrane over flashing connections. We have a roof over that was obviously put on by a company that does the "roof blanket" type covers with 2" of solid styrofoam sheets underneath. I wrote on here about a month ago about using the simple metal roof over this, and was told no more roof over the 2 existing roofs. We bought the trailer like this. It has 2 seams on this roof blanket aluminum that are holding water. Everywhere else drains. Last time we were up there, (this is a getaway place), I put neoprene caulk down these seams. Apparently they had given trouble before because the original sealant has been patched before along these 2 seams. Today I read about the Stick it and Forget it and am wondering if that is what we need to put down the length of these 2 seams? The trailer is 12' wide. Or is this stuff not made to be "under water" so to speak? Thanks for your info, EJ
Old Ticker
JD
Site Admin

I am not exactly sure what your roof material is. When you say "blanket", I m thinking it is a rubber or pvc sheet material. But then you said aluminum, so I am a little confused there. Either way, the Stick it and Forget it may work well for you.

First, you would want to cut away any curling areas of seams so the roof is flat. If this is aluminum, it may need to be screwed down. But you want the surface to be flat and stable. The seam area would need to be cleaned 4" wider than the tape you will be using. If this is an extreme case, 8" tape and 12" cleaned area may be needed. For a slight curling of sheet material or a metal seam, 6" tape should be enough. The area needs to be absolutely clean of oil, dirt and oxidation. Also, there should be no silicone anywhere in your work area. Because I am not sure of the material you are using, I would recommend that you paint a roof primer in in the cleaned area. This is not paint primer. Eternabond now sells there own primer in a spray can. I use Ames Research Super Primer. Then apply your tape as per instructions. This really takes two people to control the tape. It is hard for one person to apply the tape without wrinkles, going straight, and not allow the tape to touch itself. Sticky stuff! Be sure to get/use a roller like the one Eternabond sells. It is a steel small but heavy hand roller.

I think Eternabond was original made as a pond liner. It is recommended for that use one their web site. So it should be OK under water. I would use a good polyurethane sealant to seal the edges of the tape though. Do not use silicone.

Hope this helps.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.