Waterline to hotwater heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

There is a piece of copper pipe that comes out of the polybuteline and then has a shut off (which doesn't seem to work) and then goes into the bottom of the hot water heater. I think this is the cold water pipe. Someone has soldered this pipe before just below the shut off valve but it is leaking. My question is, how do I get the dang thing off?

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... ertank.jpg
Harry

Hi

The heat from a blow torch will melt the soldered copper joint. If you want to reassemble the same pieces you will have to clean them up really good with sand paper before you re-solder. Then you apply some solder paste. If you haven't sweated copper pipe before you should find someone who has to show how.

Another option is to replace the copper with Pex. There are poly to Pex fittings and Pex to water heater fittings.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
busybee1952

Harry, do you mean that it's okay to replace the copper tubing with PEX? Is it because PEX is used for under the floor heating? If so, that is a fabulous idea! The copper pipe is very intimidating. Thanks a bunch!
Harry

Hi

Yes... I would go with the Pex. Get a couple of extra rings and practice a time or 2 until you can crimp with one smooth motion. I get my Pex supplies/fittings from Lowes. Water heater plumbing is usually 3/4 inch.

Come back if you have more questions.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?