Shower Diverter Replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mr_sarge

Hi all !

I'm in the process of remaking the bathroom in my 1970 paramount mobile home. New window, new floor, new bath with some white bath/shower wall.

I've realise today that the shower diverter knob was leaking. I've tryed to pulled it out but i'm not able. I don't want to break it !!

Here's some pictures. If someone could tell me how to remove it I would apreciate it !

Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

I mostly replace faucets and have not repaired very many, but I think the nut you pulled off is the packing nut. The nut that removes the stem assembly is usually at the base near the valve body and it much bigger. I think I can see one nub of the nut here. Not sure though.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mr_sarge

I have acces behind the wall via my kitchen and I cannot see any nut. I will try to take a picture.
flcruising

Did you try pulling on the stem with some pliers after removing the packing nut?

http://www.newkirkpainting.com/faucet_cartridge.html
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
mr_sarge

I've try to pull really hard and gently tap it left and right with a flat punch and hammer.

I don't want to break it !!

But if you tell me that I have tu pull, I will pull more !!
mr_sarge

Here's some picture from behind the wall:

flcruising

It doesn't appear to me to have a hexed valve body. That's why I assumed the packing nut held it in place and the valve should just pull out. The back of the assembly really doesn't show anything further. If you can't get it out, I'm affraid you may have to try your hand at soldering. Replacement may be the next step.

mr_sarge

Got it this weekend !!

Had to pull really really hard ! I've use a flat screw-driver and hammer to make it loose and puul on it with some plier.

Here, after all this truble, the before/after baththub job !

peachlizzard

Looks great!
JD
Site Admin

Wow! Looks great! What a difference.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

Excellent Job!
RandyD

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!