Awnings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BeachBoy

I scan MH's on eBay for the fun of it, especially in southern Florida. I see those great old MH's that have character because they were bold in their designs. One characteristic that I really like is awnings. I would like to find some metal awnings from old MH's and place them on my MH's to beat off some of the Alabama sun. You would think that when old MH's are scrapped the awnings would be a very sellable item -- a lot more than scrap value. Does anyone know where I can buy those awnings?
Greg

Check Blevins catalog. blevinsinc.com You shouls be able to find some local, but Blevins does have them, not sure on pricing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

If you're not happy with what you see in the salvage yards they can be purchased at places like Marvin's, Lowe's. Marvin's is where I purchased mine after looking at several salvage yards, but finding more damaged than usable. I paid around $99 for each and that included the side wings, which are often sold separate. They were incredibly easy to install. Lowe's and HD had them near the door section, but they were slightly higher and when I looked the side wings with extras (may be different now since suppliers change pretty often).
I purchased the last 2 I installed last weekend from a popular online auction site. They were manufactured by a company in "Ohio". Not only were there parts missing, but the pre-dilled holes weren't...on either of the two I ordered! I will not post the name online, but if you drop me an email I will tell you the name of the company (which has been in business since the 80's and the name they are now auctioning off using on the auction site). There was a comment made later on the px when I was trying to obatin from them the missing parts that their "seconds" were sold/auctioned off - I wish I had known. They stated in the listings that all parts were present (showed catalog pic) and holes were pre-drilled. Just not the case when they arrived.
I had the same thought after following behind a MH being moved down I-65 where they had carefully taken everything off BUT the awnings over the doors. They held up pretty good but 60-75 mph winds just got the best of them.
The installed awnings do draw away some of our burning Alabama sun. I like the way the place looks with the awnings. Mine is a 1980 All-American and it makes it look more permanent and less stereotypical to the attitude commonly associated with southerners and mobile homes.
Maureen

LOL! Ya all have to know how I feel about the old aluminum awnings!

But, the one over our back deck has held up for many years! Even the carport held up for 24 years before 7 feet of snow took it down! The deck awning has a better pitch than the carport did. Our home was moved when it was 8 years old to this property. The out buildings, awning and deck are only 26 years old, the home is still 34 years old.

We have several companies in this area that still install those awnings! There are also DIY kits online.

Have you checked out the yellow pages in your area? That's a great place to start!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
geraldk

i;d check some rv dealers or rv wrecking yards most of those have awnings on them ....just s thought
im not a dr. but ill take a look