Update on Trailer repairs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flgmtech

Hello to all!

Okay this is the progress thus far on the money pit project we started at the beginning of the year.
In the master bath, I removed all the drywall fixed the outer walls and floors, I then put up new OSB around the entire bathroom so that I could use a 29.00 per sheet plastic waterproof finish wall board that is textured and super shiny and easy to clean, they used it at my dealership in the bathrooms as it is waterproof and easy to clean and although expensive, when applied to OSB with liquid nails will last for a very long time.
Then I threw out the old plastic garden tub with the cracked bottom and replaced it with a new fiberglass garden tub of the same size. It is was a tight fit but I got it in!
I replaced all the plumbing and am waiting on the fixtures as I want house fixtures and not the typical mobile home faucets.
I am really pleased with the results but the labor and the time between "extra money" to buy the needed home improvement funds are taxing to say the least. I will post the after pictures when we finally get the bathroom finished, we want to finish the bathroom, before we move on into the bedroom to put the drywall up as the walls are all framed and rewired.
So! That is the update for now, wish us luck as we are making improvements slowly but surely.

Thanks to all for the help.

Sincerely,
Tim
troyster

Hi Tim I know what you mean by money pit. My neighbour asked me to fix her home. I spent 2 weeks on and off so far and replaced wall studs,sole plates, rim joists and 20 sheets of plywood. Applied tar paper and foam board too walls to and tomorrow will put on membrane & flashing, siding , trim & gutters. Also have got to apply liquid rubber to her roof seams and replace all her homes particle board floor with plywood as whole entire floor in home is rotten. Everyone in park was saying it was her roof but i seen her roof was in good shape plus no leaks on ceiling & I knew for sure when her insulation was dry through entire trailer walls. water got behind old foam, got trapped and rotted out walls-she had no overhang or gutters. It was a case of a bad siding job. Lots of work but she will have nice solid home in the end. saved her spending 5-6 grand to a roofer to replace her roof when it wasn't even her roof leaking.
Harry

Hi flgmtech

What is the name and where did you get the 29.00 per sheet plastic waterproof finish wall board? I'm putting together plans to do a bathroom.

Thanks

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Tim, there is nothing like doing a big job, done the way YOU want it and doing it the right way! It will take some time & money but well worth it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flgmtech

Hi Harry!
I found this product at both Lowes and Home Depot.
The Home Depot price was 2 dollars less than Lowes but Lowes matched the price and then gave an additional 10% off to beat their competitor!
The great thing is that there are joiners that give a seamless finish to all four edges of this wallboard, to include inner and outter corners, this gives a great sealing capability to the edges., I also used clear drying silicone caulk after the wall board was in place at all the edges just for added insurance.
The name is:
Sequentia
Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel
4 x 8
For walls or ceilings that require high-strength, sanitary, easily maintained paneling
Install on prepared walls
Resin rich textured surface resists mold and mildew
Item #: 8566 Model: 77096 (this is Lowes model number)
Also known as FRP panels.
Hope this helps.
Has anyone else used this material? If so, what type of success have you had, OR what types of problems have you run across?

Thanks for all your help

Tim
Yanita

Hi Tech!

Wow, you are slowly getting there. Do not blame you at all for taking one room at a time and as "extra" money allows. Keeps the credit card bill down and contains the construction to one area!

Can't wait to see your before and after pics.

As for money pit, well when you remodel you can either settle for something or wait and get what you really want, LOL, we typically choose the latter and therefore spend more money! Since I only want to do the major remodels once I prefer to get what I want! :D

Take care!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hey Tim,

Well, you are making progress and sounds like you aren't cutting corners. I am sure there is extra satisfaction in doing the repairs yourself and doing them right.

Cost of materials and finding the time, I hear ya there. I have a very old and very long list of upgrades for my home. I have pretty much done all of the ones that cost hundreds of dollars. Now the list is full of big ticket items. Seems there is always a "must do" thing that comes up to take away money from the "want to do" things.

Looking forward to see your finished pictures. Bet you are too.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.