Gas water heater pilot going out?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

garypely

we have a 28x58 (I believe) double wide. It is a 4 bedroom and we love it. The only problem being that on a windy day the pilot light on the gas water heater keeps blowing out. There are days when it has gone out a few times. Then a month will go by before it happens again. I was wondering if it was because of a down draft happening and that is the cause. I was wondering if there is a way to put an L shaped pipe on top that would rotate with the wind (kinda like a wind directional on a barn) that way it would take care of the problem. Any ideas?

We are in Michigan so the weather here changes a lot.
Greg

Other than checking the vent cap, contact a qualified repair contractor. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MacAttack

I had success making and mounting a metal shield to protect from the prevailing wind direction. In my case, the pilot's gas flow was not adjustable.
garypely

I had a tech over today because he was replacing the heater control board and he mentioned that it is probably because the gas heater vent pipe is not long enough. He mentioned that putting on a bigger pipe would probably take care of this situation. He says with doublewides around here it is a common problem? The town is right on lake michigan and it can get quite windy here.