rotten rim joist repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vancouver_island

We are replacing a rotten rim joist, (among other rotten things) and thought I would try adding some pics.

to see a picture of our place go to www.chelseybraham.com
Johanna Bruns

Awesome! :D
I have the space and inclination to see what my imagination can help me build...
JD
Site Admin

Will you be resetting the aluminum siding or going with something new?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

I looked at your link.

Neat project.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
vancouver_island

thanks harry!.

In awnser to your question, JD, Because we need to tear off all the exterior sheathing and take it down to the studs we will be resheeting with tyvek and then a 3/8" plysiding board with a nice cedar look, trimming it up with cedar and that will be it for the exterior. (our walls will be flimsy!)

we grabbed some vinyl windows. are replacing the insulation (bugs are infesting it as it sits open) and putting a vapour barrier on the inside and new wood panelling.

we will then recycle the old aluminum into skirting. and finish it off with a metal roofover.

This is the bad end of the mobile. hopefully when we work our way down to the other end we won't have so much bad news. rebuilding this baby is frustrating but probably still cheaper than building a house.
to see a picture of our place go to www.chelseybraham.com
JD
Site Admin

Excellent web site and a great project! Thanks.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.