air leaks etc...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

denbro730

Hi, this is my first post and since I live in a 32 y/o home it probably won't be my last. We are having problems keeping our home cool in the summer and warm in the winter (So Cal). I have been looking around for air leaks and found some of the windows (plexiglass horizontal slide) have gaps between them. I am contemplating the limo tint for the radiant heat but when our electric bill goes up to $300 in the summer from the a/c unit, something needs to be done. I am on a limited budget so wholesale changes won't be happening right now. I also have some rotting in the bottom of the hvac ducting, is that a duct tape fix? This is just the beginning.....more to come.

Chris
Greg

Chris, Hi & welcome. I would say ANYTHING you do will help. You should keep in the back of your mind what really needs to be done, you should look into changing to new windows even if you do one at a time when you have the money. There is a foil tape that may work better than regular duct tape. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

I to live in an older home, mine is going on 35!

There are a couple of things you can do that will not cost a lot of money...

Put insulators behind every exterior outlet and switch plate cover. You will be amazed at how much air comes thru there. Get weathering stripping and seal up doors.

Clean your air conditioner! Look in the Articles link in the blue task bar above and find the newsletter about cleaning the ac and keeping the filters clean. This goes along ways in the unit running as efficiently as possible.

If in doubt on how to patch up your ducts please post that question in the HVAC forum under other repairs/questions. Robert is our ace man over there!

If your windows leak alot then maybe you should consider getting the thin plastic that will completely cover the window, thy sell a kit that the plastic is clear and fits tight by using a hair dryer.

Caulking, everywhere it is check it and replace as necessary.

Make sure the vents are connected to the floor just under the registers, alot of heat/ac is lost in this area also.

Is your skirting tight, if not, make sure it is, this also helps the ac run efficiently. Underbelly and insulation intack also.

And then there is what I call the drape game! Open only the drapes that the direct sun is not coming in. When the sun starts shining there, close them and open others! PITA, yup, but it works well and keeps you from living in the dark all summer.

I am sure others will have some tips!

Hope this helps!

Have a great day!

Again welcome to the site, look forward to helping you again!

~Yanita~
Last edited by Yanita on Thu May 03, 2007 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Chris! Once again, welcome to the forum!

Like Yanita said, you're not the only one living in an older mobile home. My home is 34 years old.

Now, you made one statement that has me concerned. You mentioned plexiglass sliders for windows. In most cases, the plexiglass was used for the storm windows only, in some older homes. If this is all you have left on the home, then you're using a lot of energy to both cool and heat your home.

Check this out and get back to us. Photos would help us even more.

All of Yanita's advice is very good and very inexpensive to curb your energy costs! Most of the advice she gave you, we did the day we closed on our home. I've been passing this info along for years on the board. It takes very little cash, a little bit of work, but the pay off is great!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Tim M

Does anyone have a suggestion for air leaks thru wall plugs in recepticles? My home is only 14 yrs old and has these problems. On windy days I get a pretty good breeze thru the slots.
Yanita

Hi Tim,

Go to your local hardware store, maybe even Wal Mart. There are foam insulators already cut to shape to fit behind exterior wall outlets and light switches. These are very inexpensive and work real well! This one one of the first things I did in our home as part of my energy conservation program, LOL.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
Tim M

That I already have done...but I still get plenty of air flow thru the ports on the outlet itself.
Yanita

Hi,

Then I am going to have to assume that you have really poor insulation or poor install of insulation.

If the air is that bad you might need to remove a wall panel and see if the insulation actually goes that far down the wall, you would be surprised how many folks around here have discovered the roll ran short on there homes.

Others might have some suggestions...

~Yanita~
troyster

Hi Tim there is a possibility you may have missing plywood sheathing around your walls. If you look at Troysters project album you will see what I found. I put in new pieces of sheathing and wrapped my home in foam board and the drafts are gone. the insulators help a lot but will only slow down the draft not stop it.
Nickell

Does anybody have any suggestions for bathroom fan vents? On windy days (every day in Saskatchewan) the wind really whistles in these vents.
Yanita

Hi Nickell,

I know this last question pertains to energy saving/sealing your home up but could you please repost it in a separate thread.

As a post gets longer people have a tendency not to follow along. We try to keep it one topic per thread.

I will lock this thread off and please repost.

Thanks and have a great day!

~Yanita~
Robert

Hi,

Unlocking for this one post. Any other info can be obtained by coming to Heating & Cooling Forum.

For deteriorating ducts, get some aluminum metal or flashing.

Cut for size needed, place over bad duct area.

Use sheetmetal screws or pop rivets to attach.

You can then cover seams with foil tape, but better product is a bucket of Mastic Duct Sealant.

Then add some insulation into belly area and seal the belly.

Locking back off now.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?