Drip Stop Input Needed

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maureen

Hi Folks!

Our water company, which I must say is really great, is offering a new product for free. They do this from time to time, with some great offers! This new product, I've never heard of before. The product is called Drip Stop. It's for older, compression faucets. It doesn't work on newer, washerless faucets.

Now, I know that most of us are here renovating our homes, and this may not apply to us. It's pretty easy for us to change out a faucet! But, in our little world, we look out for quite a few elderly folks, and I know there are some folks out there without the cash to change out old faucets right now.

The name of the product is, Drip Stop. You can find the website at the link below:

http://www.drip-stop.com

I've got quite a few neighbors wanting some input before they go down to the GID to get these and have one of us install these. These are free to us, so they don't have to put out any cash, but before I use what little free time I have to install these, I'd like to know if anyone has a comment!

If no one has any experience, I'd gladly be a guinea pig LOL! I have 3 compression faucets left to change out. I can test thses before changing the faucets out.

Oh, according to the website, these also work on hose bibs outside!

I'm not clear on the price retail price yet. But, for those that can't afford a new faucet, or can't replace a faucet without a plumbing bill, it might be an option

Maureen 8) [/url]
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi Maureen

It's a new style compression faucet washer that seals on the interior of the seat.

One of my shower faucets is leak prone and I have been nursing it along till I replace the walls and tub. The valve is inside the wall and not an easy fix. I think I'll pick some up at the local Ace Hardware.

Do you have a leaky faucet? Yes I'd be interested how you like them.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Robert

Hi Maureen,

It's by and recommended by ConserveCo and also backed by Handyman Club of America as a member tested and recommended product.

With that and from looking at it, I would go for it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Maureen

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input! I thought that it sounded great, but ya know how a lot of that stuff goes. Sometimes, to good to be true is just that.

I think I'll stop by our general improvement district office tomorrow and get some more information from them. Since they are giving these away free, I'd like to be able to pick them up for seniors, and those on fixed incomes. We've got a large population out here of both seniors and those on fixed incomes. They can't afford a leaky faucet, much less an increased water bill. This is such an easy, cheap fix! If you count turning off the water, and 'if' you can get the stem out easy, it's less than 5 minutes to fix.

Harry, I have one faucet that leaks from time to time. It's the wet bar faucet and really, seldom is used. But, I can test it on that faucet! If we don't use it for long periods, it doesn't leak. But ya have to crank it to make the leak stop. It will be a good test area!

I'm excited about this product! If it does the job, it will be priceless for many folks! Not all of us can afford to pay for a water leak, and even fewer can afford to have a plumber come in and fix a leak. I know many folks that are just going to be tickled to have their faucets fixed!

I most likely won't install it until Sunday. I'll test it over a week or two and get back to you with results!

Harry, if you pick these up at Ace hardware, could you post the retail price? I'm sort of assuming that most folks will need the combo pack, since most of the older faucets are factory installed and not a name brand.

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

I checked out the drip stop web site. Prices vary, but there are 4 sizes. 3 of the 4 sell in 2 packs for $4.29 or so. The fourth size is the least used size and is only sold in a combo pack of 4 units, one of each size for $6.49. The combo pack is cool. They say that one of the 4 units will fit any faucet. So for an off brand or unknown no name faucet, you would have one that works. The instructions show you how to work through the washers to find the one that works. On the 2-packs the brand of faucet that they fit is written on the back of the package.

Looking at how they work, seems like a real good product. They make faucets easier for seniors to shut off. They are designed so that the water pressure expands the washer to seal the valve.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

On the “seniors” note:

Reminds me of an article I read recently. Seems like one of the residents of a nursing home here got out on the grounds in his hospital gown and was running around. None of the younger well-fed nurses could catch him. The article went on to say some of the seniors still had enough strength to twist off faucet handles.

Have a nice day.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the price for their line JD. I just haven't had much spare time to check the site out really well.

I'll be picking these up tomorrow and installing at least one on my bar sink as a test.

I'm going to find out if they'll work with the neighborhood groups we have to install them on the seniors and folks on fixed incomes out here. They supply the products, we do the work. If we each do 5 homes, that's a big impact on the water consumption and it reduces the bills for these folks. Win, win solution!

Thanks for the input guys! This just may be a real good solution for a lot of folks.

Maureen 8)
'Plato'