roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ochetura03

hi can someone tell me what sealant is good for the roof after puting the shingle?
awo ni orunmila ochetura
JD
Site Admin

The best composition asphalt shingle roof installation will have no or almost no sealants showing from the top of the roof. All protrusions like pipes, jacks and vent caps should be properly installed and flashed, with all sealants going under the shingles. This would be for a new install.

If you are touching up bad spots or trying to seal a leak from on top of the shingles, I usually use the old favorite, Henry's Wet Patch. Just your basic wet/dry asphalt roof sealer. Probably one of the more expensive (still real cheap) flashing cements might be a better product if exposed to the sun, especially on a newly installed roof. :| 900 Construction & Flashing Sealant might be a good choice for you. I am not real picky on asphalt roof sealants because by the time I am trying to save a leaking shingle roof, the rest of the roof won't last as long as the sealant I use, usually.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Johnny

has your roof just had shingles put on it?
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
ochetura03

ok the deal is that what i want to do is remove the shingels and see which wood is getting wet and if a plywood is getting wet remove and put a new one then after can i just put a good sealent then install the whole roof with new shingels?
awo ni orunmila ochetura
Jim from Canada

If you are re shingling the whole roof, use Grace brand Ice/water shield over the whole roof first. This is how I did mine. The Grace brand is more expensive, but is the best. You can astually put a nail through it, remove the nail, and the hole will seal. See my album pics for my roofing job.

Jim
ochetura03

:D thanks jim
awo ni orunmila ochetura
ochetura03

ok how about if im appling that sealant and it starts raining ofcourse im gonna cover the roof with some kind of tarp but if the sealant gets wet will it still do its job?thanks guys :D
awo ni orunmila ochetura
Jim from Canada

As in the photo album, pick a day with good weather, do 1/2 the roof and get the Grace down, the next day, do the other side, third day, shingle. At the point you have the Grace down, it is waterproof. The shingles are decoration and keep the UV off the Grace.
ochetura03

thank you jim :D
awo ni orunmila ochetura
ochetura03

ok after laying the shingles what kind of shingle nails do i nail the shingle with and how much nailing do you actually do? im sorry but this is my first roof i will do and if it goes right i will owe it all to you guys......
awo ni orunmila ochetura
JD
Site Admin

Your home store will have standard roofing nails. The nail needs to be long enough to penetrate completely through the sheathing by 3/8". This will be the thickness of the sheathing, roof underlayment, and thickness of the shingle and the extra 3/8". So for most mobile homes, using a standard 3-tab shingle, you would need 1-1/4" roofing nails. Manually hand nailing is more accurate than a pneumatic roof nail gun, but the nail gun is SO much easier and faster. Roofing staples are now "out of code" in many states.

Shingle nailing patterns vary by shingle type and your local wind zone. The manufacturer's installation instructions will be printed on the bundle of shingles. Follow the instructions from the manufacturer of your shingles.

Conventional 3-tab shingles usually require a minimum of 4 fasteners. Architectural shingles usually require a minimum of 6 fasteners per shingle. The placement of those nails is very important and shown on the shingle packaging.

I would suggest doing a google search on DIY shingle installation. Since you are asking for what nail to use, I would imagine there are a ton of questions you may not know to ask. There are several web sites that offer start to finish instructions for roof shingles.

Here is a site similar to what you might find on the web. I would recommend that you read through several of them.

http://www.vanbecks.com/Installation.htm

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ochetura03

thanks jd i will check it out if i have any question i will let you know, THANKS AGAIN :D
awo ni orunmila ochetura