Painting over wallpaper and wallboard?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kristi

Hi,
I'm new and I couldn't find any forum topic on painting!
I am wondering if it's possible to paint over the wallboard/wallpaper that seems to cover every inch of kitchen and bathroom wall.
Does anyone have experience with this? Am I worrying over nothing?
I just don't want to get started and THEN discover that the wallpaper won't disappear under the paint. :shock:
Thanks in advance!
-Kristi
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

About everyone here has painted some part if not all of their home.

To paint over wall board, prep is everything! Wash your walls with TSP, or another cleaner. Make sure the walls are dried completely and then prime with Kilz, any one of the Kilz primers works well, although I prefer Kilz Premium.

Once the primer has dried paint the color of your choice.

Typically you will find post like this...painting, wallpapering etc in the Landscape, Decorating forum. Not a problem though.

Check out the site and all the forums and links, there's a wealth of info here. Don't find what you need ask, there is always somebody around. :D

Again, Welcome to the site.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
kristi

Thanks so much for the advice Yanita!
(oops on the section, sorry!)
Yanita

No problem! :lol:

Enjoy the site, everyone around here is real friendly!

~Yanita~
brucetrout

Hey Kristi
Here's an example. Like Yanita said-
I used Kilz primer and Kilz paint-one coat each-to cover this hideous wallpaper in my kitchen.
Good luck.
bruce
I'll see if this picture came through
kristi

Oh, wow, only one coat each??
I was thinking it would take many more than that! LOL
I would be thrilled if I could get away with one....
Thanks for the advice, y'all!

-Kristi
Yanita

Hi Kristi,

No problem, just be sure to post your before and after pics in your personal photo album!

Good luck!

~Yanita~
Nickell

Hi Kristi. We just painted one of our rooms (it is all panel board) It took one coat of primer and two coats of paint. I am not sure what kind of panel board you have. Ours was the type that has grooves running from floor to ceiling. If this is what you have you may want to try using a roller with as thick a nap as possible. I was planning to use a thick nap roller for the first coat of primer and paint and then an thinner nap roller for the finish but I found the thick nap to work just fine for the entire job. As for painting the wallpaper it seems to all depend. For most cases I have seen people do it and it has turned out fine but sometimes the paper somehow seemed to become saturated and peel off. Hope this helps.
Yanita

Hi,

If you have the traditional MH wallboard then I really do not think it will peel from saturation. MH wallboard is sheetrock with factory wallpaper that is coated with some sort of plastic. It's actually pretty moisture resistant when washing or painting.

Now, if your home has been wallpapered with traditional wallpaper, it will probably need to be removed. Walls prepped accordingly and then painted.

JMO,

~Yanita~
Maureen

Hi Everyone!

One really important tip when painting over 'our' wall board. Let each coat dry really well. Personally, I'd say at least 24 hours between coats.

I have seen where folks have tried to rush the job, and actually saturated the walls with primer and paint.

Take is slow and easy and everything should turn out just fine!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
kristi

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

All our walls are, indeed, the plain white wallboard (no paneling), some with wallpaper fused onto it, some with just a border.
I have been wondering since we moved in whether I should try to paint it or not.
Now I know that it won't be too bad a job. :D
Yanita

Hi,

Glad we could help.

Remember to clean the walls well and let everything dry between coats! You will be fine.

Oh yeah, just gotta say I love your signature!

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

Good replies, although in some cases you may want to use an oil based primer rather a latex based primer.

Such as wood paneling. You'll notice that nots and things will bleed through the primer.

Also, if you were to paint cabinets, I would also suggest the oil primer. The great thing is, you can apply latex over it.

Remember to choose quality paint too.
Yanita

Hi,

I suppose you could you oil based. I personally have done all the cupboards in both of our homes, and this one has paneled walls. All were done with water based kilz Premium with no problems. The key is prep. Make sure everything is clean!

It's anyones choice, but I prefer the no smell, easy clean up route.

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
PennylessZ28

Yanita wrote:Hi,

I suppose you could you oil based. I personally have done all the cupboards in both of our homes, and this one has paneled walls. All were done with water based kilz Premium with no problems. The key is prep. Make sure everything is clean!

It's anyones choice, but I prefer the no smell, easy clean up route.

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
There is a no odor kills that is a lil more expensive, however, I still think it smells, but I've used it before. Oil based would be best if you have bleed through or really heavy stains. Although I still think it's best on cabinets. :)