how to cut a hole in metal?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

Hope this doesn't sound too ignorant but how in the heck does one cut a hole in the middle of a piece of that ridged metal? Like what is used on pole barns? I don't want to cut a straight split up to the hole location. Does one punch a hole in it with something and then use a jig saw?
Harry

Hi

Depending on the thickness ... you can drill a hole and then use tin snips (metal shears).

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

That's one way, but call around to some tool rental companies and see if they have a hole saw rental. If you have several holes to cut this is the way to go.

Do a google on hole saws, you'll see what I am talking about.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

How many holes? How big??? You can buy a cheap hole saw at the dollar store if you only need 1 or 2 holes up to 2" or (if you were a guy) could go spend $1500 on a nice plasma cutter and cut any size / shape hole you want!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Yeah,

Right Greg, if you get the plasma cutter be sure to let us know! When we come by this summer we will bring the plans for the custom wheels and other parts Hubby wants for the other Harley!

Anyways, BusyBee, this is just a few of your options, let us know what you are doing and maybe we can come up with another idea!

~Yanita~
Greg

Well Yanita, with what I spend on the tool truck you never know, I may have one by then. I will send a picture of the box I just bought. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
busybee1952

Well, my skirting is metal and I want to put vents in it so actually, the holes would end up being rectangular shaped. I'm going to use my old inside heater vents (got new ones from the guy who installed the new furnace) and put screen on the back of them. Looks like I'll need to cut the hole about 12" down from the top of the metal where it attaches to the trailer. Looks like I might need to cut out at least 4. Probably the tin snips will work once I get the hole punched in it somehow.
Harry

Hi busybee1952

Drill a hole to get her started. Use gloves with the tin snips so ya don't get cut.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Yup, punch a hole and then either the tin snips or if you have a jig saw you can put a metal cutting blade on it.

~Yanita~