Should I sell my axles?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

solveg

I have axles and a big mess of tires under the mobile home. the guys putting on my skirting were surprised, and said "You've got some money sitting under there".

Are they just rusting away under there when they could be used by someone? Will I need them in the future?

There sure isn't any vapor barrier going down with all that stuff under there!

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Yanita

Hi Solveg,

Well selling anything is sort of a personal nature. I see in your profile that you own your land and home.

Do you plan on keeping your home for several years? Do you want/need them for any specific reason?

They are worth money, not sure how much though. I do know that around here any MH moving company has axles that they use to move the homes with, so if you have none it's not a big deal. So selling yours is up to you.

Leaving the axles under your home is alright...BUT...those tires are another matter. As we all know tires will dry rot over time, so saving them for an extended period of time is a waste of space and tires. Nothing including tires should be stored under your home, tires are very flammable in the event of a fire.

I am sure the men around here will have more thoughts and advice,

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
solveg

I just did a google search, and it looks like the going rate for the axles is $75/axle, so not exactly a gold mine!

Really good point about the tires... I'll bet, however, that there's a lot* of tires stored under homes, even if it's not a good idea. What else would you do with them?

solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
scottman

We sold ours. I believe we had 8, and around 6 tires on each one. Yes they are worth something. I believe we got $600 for all of them. A friend bought them for his trailer business. The setup crew wanted $20 for all of them ... go figure! Yes movers will "rent" you axles in the future. I figure by the time we move our house, they'd be so rusty and the tires would be shot ... we'd have to rent them anyway. Sell them while you can.
solveg

I'll check around. 6* axles would add up to a road trip!

solveg
Yanita

Hi,

You can bring your tires to your local recycle center or landfill, whichever accepts them.

Your home should be devoid of anything underneath, this was not designed to be a storage area.

As you said getting it cleaned out will make putting down the vapor barrier much easier! :D

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!