Vinyl flooring problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Katie

Here I am again.... its been a while, tho.
Last Summer we had Armstrong Sheet vinyl put down on the floor. It is the kind that "floats", its not glued down. It was all good until in the winter when we were running heat, the floor seemed to "expand" and caused waves and bubbles. I was about to tear the whole thing out, except that would have caused a divorce after the cost..... anyway we put up with it, then when spring came and the A/C was on the floor went back to the way it was when it was first put down. it looks good-the way its supposed to.
So, is there something I can do to it to keep it from going nuts on me again this winter????

It is taped down on the edges of the rooms with the special double stick tape. The kitchen flooring was installed and then the cabinets installed over it. The bathrooms dont act as badly, that vinyl was installed after the new cabs.
the dining room is a mess.... especially where the carpet in the living room meets the vinyl and the metal strip thing is.

Have any of you people out there in "Mobile Home Land" used this kind of flooring and had/solved these kinds of problems?
I contacted Armstrong and they said its caused by improper installation..... ok, so now what do I do? they were no help.
thanks in advance... I feel the good "vibes" coming my way already.
It's only money, Right?
Greg

There have been others with the same problem. The cause usually is air getting under the vinyl from the register vent.

You could do a search and find the old posts and the ideas for the the fix. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Katie

Thanks, but I read back 19 pages and my neck is getting stiff--
So should I check to be sure its sealed around the duct vents?
It's only money, Right?
Greg

That is usually what happens, you could try the foil type duct tape. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Katie

Greg, thank you. I will do that.... then I'll turn on the furnace, see if it expands.... NOT!!!!!
heck its 100 degrees out here in :twisted: "Paradise" (aka Central Florida)
So, once again I thank you, anyone else out there have an opinion on this before I go get the tape????

bye for now.
Katie
It's only money, Right?
Yanita

Heat will make the vinyl much more pliable and expand per se. Do as Greg suggested and make sure that the vinyl is secured to the subfloor around the vent. As said this is a common problem.

Since it does not do this in the AC mode, guess you will have to wait to see if the repair is applicable to you until it is heating season.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Katie

Ok, I'm heading out for some tape. Thank you both for your advice.
I trust you all more than the guys at the "stores"!
Time will tell, but you are telling me a sensible, reasonable thing to do.
Bye.
Katie
It's only money, Right?
homebuff

Katie, I have the same problem applying vinyl flooring in my hose cuse the glue i used made the flooring bubble up in places. It does not adhere to particle board as well.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Demolition

Floating floors do that, they float.
To glue down vinyl use a smooth board over the particle board. It is like plywood but only 1/4 thick.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
homebuff

:) Thanks Demolition, point well taken. Will try that. I live in a trlr. ct. & my landlord was applying new board down in the living room of a trlr. they rent out & saw where he applied glue between the ends of the boards & nailed small nails with small thin board to hold them close together till they dried to keep them from squeaking. Is that a guaranteed repair & will it work. I plan on doing that when I replace the flooring in the back bedroom from the floor having bad sump spots sinking in from water damage in the past. The only thing keeping the floor from completely collapsing in those spots is the carpet. Its going to be hard repairing that room though since it was my Sons room who passed away Monday. :(
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Yanita

Hi,

I believe what Demolition is referring to is called luan. This comes in 4x8 sheets. It goes over the top of your subfloor in a staggered manner. You would have to completely remove your existing vinyl for this application.

Not sure what fix your landlord is trying. Thought at first it was baseboards.

Sorry to hear about your son. It is a horrible loss.

Please post your questions about floor replacement in a new thread. We try to keep each topic in individual threads so they are easier to follow.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!