Tub Drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seacoast Sharon

How does one take that out? The cover I mean. I tried with a knife yesterday and it won't budge. Trying to get it out in order to get the hair buildup out of the drain because the water is going down too slow. What's the trick?
peachlizzard

There is another thread on here asking the same question. I also had this issue. Believe me when I say you have it right. You may have to use some strength to get it, but it does screw out. Good luck!
Seacoast Sharon

thanks for the info, I'm glad you said screw out now I know not to pull but turn.
Yanita

Hi,

Wal Mart and other similar stores sells an item called Zip it or something like that. You insert into the drain and then pull it back out and the hair clog comes with it. Hopefully someone else will chime in with the real name.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
garrett_reukauf

You got it right Yanita. It is called "Zip-It". The name pretty much says it all and they work GREAT! Not only is it for hair, but also paper, food, etc.... The website is http://www.zipitclean.com
They can be found at Wal-mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, TrueValue, Menards, Harbor Freight, and Do-It Best, also check with your local plumbing supply store, thats where I found out about it. It costs less than $10, I think I paid like $4 for mine. They recommend it as a one time use item but depending on what you are removing you could clean it off and re-use.
Seacoast Sharon

Yeah thanks for the info. I did know about the Zip stick as I used it for my sink drain when I had an issue with that. I labeled this thread tub drain but what I meant to say was it's the shower drain. I'm going to try later today with plyers grabbing onto the holes into it and try to turn it and get if off to be able to ziop the drain.
peachlizzard

I thought you were talking about the tub drain. The shower drain is different. Mine just pulls straight up. The first time is pretty difficult to release it, but all you do is grab and pull...sorry about the misinformation!