Reflective shingles

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

texasprairierose

We are going to have to replace our roof this summer so I have been researching different options. We thought that we wanted to go with the stone coated metal until we got an estimate for $20,000.00 to do our house and garage :shock: Needless to say, we won't be doing that! I have been doing some research on reflective shingles from ELK. Has anyone used them?

Also, in another topic, Yanita talked about having a whirlybird fan in her attic. Not to sound stupid, but do mobile homes have an attic or a space for a fan?

Our house is well insulated; we have 2 x 6 walls with extra insulation, and we even upgraded to an Artic pack insulation when we ordered it. We have 28 windows in it; we have replaced 20 of them with double hung low e but it gets hot here in the summer so I'm thinking that the reflective shingles and an attic fan would help.

Any thoughts?
Harry

Hi

My MH (see album photo) has space for an attic fan but here's what I did instead.... I installed 4 roof vents, perforated aluminum soffits and perforated aluminum roof eaves. This created the stack (chimney) effect.

The original roof had no vents to speak of and thus a real moisture maker and heat trapper.

Good luck to you.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
flcruising

It appears that ELK is now owned by GAF.

From what I've read, 3M granules allowed ELK to develop other light colored shingles, other than the typical white, that are Energy-Star approved. Any shingle you go with that is Energy-Star certified, will reflect more of the sun's radiant heat and keep your attic cooler by a number of degrees - all other things remaining the same.

The very best thing to do though is ventilate well. Regardless of the roof color, if you can move enough air through your attic space to keep the attic floor comparable to ambient air temp, you will use less energy to keep your house cool.

IOW, a dark roof will transfer more heat to the attic, therefore more airflow is needed to cool it, compared to a light colored roof which would require less airflow because there'd be less heat transfer.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
tritontr

Check out the aura ventilator at www.roofvents.com no power required and no moving parts to wear out.