Vinyl siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

As I've mentioned before, we are going to install vinyl siding this spring. We currently have metal siding and under it is some type of "cardboard" type sheating. We will be taking it to the studs, install new insulation, plywood sheating, house wrap, and the siding. Oh, and new windows too.

Has anyone done this kind of project before? We are trying to think of every possible pitfall before we come to it! LOL

We ordered the siding today and the date for installation is May 19th. There will be probably 15 guys here to help my hubby with this endeavor. I'm excited but scared too!

Here is a "before" picture. It's by the kitchen/dining room area. We plan on putting in a deck sometime too, so those steps will be gone. The siding will be sage green. Any advice will be appreciated!

This picture shows the old laundry room door and the hot water heater access door (far right). All that will be gone.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Greg

The only "major" problem that is difficult to plan for is rottage. When I did our'91 I did find a few sills that were either rotted or starting to. If you are planning on using stock sized windows it will not be an issue since you will most likely have to reframe to the correct size any how. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gram2logan

Actually we have ordered new vinyl clad windows the exact same sizes that we already have (didn't want to change the interior walls). So rottage will be an issue if it's there.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

As the guys are working on the house, I will be out there taking pictures to post here.
Yanita

Well, I can add to things to check out.

Does your home have outriggers. What size are your exterior wall studs?

The cardboard stuff weighs next to nothing, same as aluminium siding, but when you start adding plywood sheathing then we can get some weight. I am not saying the home can't take it, just look at sill plate damage and outriggers.

Check out the home profile guys, this although a nice looking home is an oldie.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Barb,

troyster just finished putting vinyl siding on his home. He has several pictures in his album.

Other areas of concern that I would mention is how you will be handling the siding over and below the awning. I would be sure that the awning flashing is in excellent condition or I would replace it. Then be sure to seal the top of the nail fin of the flashing to the siding. Also be sure to install a flashing behind the awning and over the siding where it meets the awning. Getting to the are over the top of the awning can be difficult without removing the awning pans.

Have a good plan on how you are going to end the top course of siding. You would not want to just have J-channel trim that sticks out further than the roof's drip rail. Flashing the windows and doors is very important. I also use a lot of Ice & Water shield around windows, doors, corners and top course of siding.

Also, if I am seeing the picture right, it looks like your water heater door is about 3' tall? If it is, I would certainly change that compartment to fit a full sized water heater. You can buy a new mobile home water heater compartment door and trim it out just like a regular door. You could also make a vinyl sided door, but be sure it is up to code. Fire resistant materials on the inside and vented properly.

The link below has very good instructions for general vinyl siding installation. It is from the Vinyl Siding Institute.

Installation manual.
http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications ... nglish.pdf

Enjoy your project. You will love the new look.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gram2logan

Thanks for the input. I will print these replies out and give to hubby to read.

As for the water heater access door - that will be gone. We have a new electric water heater in a "closet" that is accessible from inside our bathroom. The laundry room door will also be gone. We put drywall on the inside, so there is no door anymore.

The very top of the home at the peak and a ways out will have scalloped trim instead of siding all the way up. I sure hope it looks as good as we imagine it! LOL Our home is peaked the opposite way than most. If you look at it from the front or back, the peak is in the middle and is close to being straight but not quite. I'm guessing about 140 degree angle.

Will keep you posted!