weight of solar on roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Suzque49

I saw a snippet on the news about this company that "leases" solar panels for monthly charge. We looked at their website and see that they install on the roof. We also know that our roof is very lightweight. It is built with 2x2 trusses, 12" on center and only has 1/4" osb for the roofing. The website says the panels weigh between 25 to 40lbs each and you may need around 20 panels. So you are looking at 500 to 800 lbs, spread out of course. So what do you think? Would the roof support it? Or is there a way to "beef up" the roof to make it strong enough? We currently are putting new roofing on, so need to do it now if we were going to do it at all.
Susan
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to move this to the repair forum. I think it is more of a roofing question than solar.

Follow there...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi Suz

I seem to like everyone/anyone who thinks "green".

What all do you hope to power with the solar panels?

Where can I go for more info?

Harry

PS: I think you have a valid concern for the roof weight.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

I think if it were me I would make a seperate frame supported from the ground to hold the panels. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

I don't see the panel weight being a problem.If they would make the snow drft up though that might give pause,and,does the installer also maintain the roof? or just the panels themselves?.What happens after the contract is done? Do they make good repairs where the mounts were? I'd wanna read the contract very well,or,just go with Greg's idea.

If the roof will be due for new shingles or whatever around the time of the contract end that might make it more sensible. Lots to consider. Does Your elec company net meter?.Would have to be plenty profitable to warrant multiple new holes in the house.

Dean
Suzque49

Thanks for your input.
I think we will have them install it next to the house, we have 10 acres, so we definitely have the room. Hopefully they will be able to do that. We don't have a problem with snow, just a lot of wind and heat.
This company is in Calif, Arizona and Mass. The company is called Sun Run. Another one they mentioned on the news was Helio Power. They both have websites if you want to check them out. We still have a lot of questions to ask them when they come to give their presentation. Will up date ya all after we talk to them.
Susan