doin a roof over question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

geraldk

if my original metal roof is good and condensation isnt a problem between the roof and ceiling i was wondering if i could use the farring strips screwed to the rafters then corrigated metal with out the insulation as described in marks book. i just want to do this for a overhang as well as adding soffit and fasia.. im not convinced a half inch of insulation would do much up there any thoughts about this would be appreciated
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Greg

I can't say how much difference it would make, but I can say that for the cost and work involved I don't think I would take the gamble. Plus add in any energy savings. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Gerald,

If your going to do the job, then I'd suggest that you do it right! That extra insulation will pay off in the long run! Both heating and cooling in the Summer.

We've had a roofover in our old '73 home for 9 years. Works like a charm for us!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Yes, the insulation is very important. The insulation will give body to the hollow spot between the furring strips. With a metal roof, you will still need to get around up there once in a while to reseal vents and exposed fasteners. Without the insulation there is a good chance that you could bend, warp or otherwise damage the corrugated metal.

And even with the gap created by the furring strips, I am not sure that the electrolysis created by the original galvanized roof would effect the bottom side of the new metal. I know if they were laid on top of each other that rust would start very quickly.

Just my thoughts on it. I have not installed this roof system before, but I have installed a few rolled metal roofs over original metal roofs.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
geraldk

thank y'all 4 the ansewers,, now i just have to find insulation thats easy to work with under 500 bucks
im not a dr. but ill take a look