Master Bath Buldge

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

marriednamobile

Ok, when you open the door to my master bath the light switch plate is immediately on your left, I noticed there's about a 1- 1 1/2 ft square area where the wallboard bows out, it looks like there are giant nail heads underneath the flimsy door trim, which isn't anywhere else in the house so I'm assuming they replaced a part of the wall or something.
My fiance says it looks like what you'd see when someone tried to fit a panel that was too big on a wall and secured it down with ginormous nails.
How do I find out what is causing this (keep in mind there's a light switch involved)?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
930dreamer

Only way to find out what's behind the bow area is to carefully remove the wallboard. :shock:
Yanita

Yup, that's the only way, make sure to shut off your electric though before you do this.

It is possible that you have a twisted stud inside the wall.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
930dreamer

Do you know if the electric switch box is attached to a stud or does the switch have the ears that grip the paneling when tightened?

You might be able to pull the switch out of the wall if it's the second type and use a flashlight to see any odd wood workings.

marriednamobile

930dreamer wrote:Do you know if the electric switch box is attached to a stud or does the switch have the ears that grip the paneling when tightened?

You might be able to pull the switch out of the wall if it's the second type and use a flashlight to see any odd wood workings.

omg switch box ears? what the????
ok, so unscrew the switch plate and look to see if it's attached?
marriednamobile

Yanita wrote:Yup, that's the only way, make sure to shut off your electric though before you do this.

It is possible that you have a twisted stud inside the wall.

Yanita
a twisted stud? what in the name of God... nevermind.
can I turn of the electric to the bathroom instead of the whole house when I peek behind the board?
Thanks Yanita
Yanita

We do not give out electrical info here, if and when it is very limited. In this case the poster does not know how the box attached nor seems to have the understanding. Please go no further with this.

I mean no disrespect to the original poster but rules are set in place for a reason.

If you want to remove your wall panel then we can give you that info.

As for shutting off power to just your bathroom your breaker/fuse panel should be labeled. It will probably shut off more than just the bathroom.

Yanita
Site Admin/Mod
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!