A Question for Greg

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hey Greg,
Now that the ground under my skirting has stopped heaving and has dried out, I am ready to dig a trench under that end of the MH to put pea gravel under the skirting as you suggested. Do I have to dig down below the frost line (18") or can I get away with something shallower since the gravel will have more "give" than the frozen ground would? If I have to dig down that far I may just bite the bullet and install a drain if this is going to be a major project anyway. Your thoughts would be appreciated, as always...Wayne
Greg

Wayne, I think 6" would be plenty. all you are trying to do is give a little yourself space when the gound heaves this way the gravel will move around the skirting and (hopefully) won't push it up. Check the articals section for Mark's monster skirting job, I think he described how he did his. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Well that's good news, Greg. I'm not too keen on digging any deeper since I'm just about on top of the septic system here. (The cover is only 10' from where I'll have to dig.) I'm also in the process of regrading that part of the yard so water won't have the tendency to pool in the area near the skirting. Once it finaly thawed out it was incredibly spongy there for weeks. With a slight slope and some new grass I will hopefully cure my drainage problem without having to resort to installing a deeper drain. Thanks for the advice...Wayne