skirting renewal

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

Hello All-
I have begun a project to remove my old skirting (plywood and OSB...bad choice by previous owner) and replace it with vinyl. The old plywood panels have survived 10 years or so, but have deteriorated rather severely at the bases due to wicking moisture.
Some background info: my home sits atop a concrete slab, and there has been some frost heave movement in the past, and I am using G-P Parkside vinyl skirting. Obviously there is a learning curve here, as I have never dealt with fastening anything to concrete.
I figured I would use the smallest concrete screws I could find since there is essentially no load. But how many should I use per 8' lower rail? There are at least 20 pre-drilled holes per rail...seems like overkill to use all of them. And I am going through carbide drills pretty fast. Any tips to make the drill bits last longer?...without having to buy a hammer drill. Also I have read where screws should not be within 3-4" of concrete edge. I have no choice as the pad is not much wider than the home, so I have to screw very close(within 2") of the edge. Ideas on this?? I haven't gotten very far yet, so I'm hoping some advice will steer me in the right direction. Thanks for any help or advice.
-Steve

Hi Steve,
I just replaced my skirting last summer with new vinyl. In the places that it ran over my concrete pad and patio I used a construction adhesive made by Liquid Nails to stick down the bottom rails. It did a great (and fast) job and those bottom rails are still the most secure part of the entire project. Just make sure it's an adhesive that is waterproof and designed to be used on concrete. Putting that many screws into your concrete pad that close to the edge is sure to be an aggrivating and thankless task. Good luck!
ben14826

1. 2" from the edge is plenty.
2. Put a screw in every hole.
3. You need to buy a concrete/masonry bit, it will drill all 200-300 holes, and still have plenty of life left.
4, drill the holes deeper than the screw has to go.
5. rent a hammer drill, it makes it very easy.
6.Buy a small box of concrete/masonry screws, 1-1/2" is fine.
7.Use a plumb bob to make sure the bottom rail is straight.

I put a screw in every single hole, and I was able to drill, mount and screw on the rail for a 14 x 70 home in only a couple hours.
Harry

Hi

Parkside vinyl is a good choice.

I agree with Ben on the install. The key to getting that bottom rail in the right place is the plumb bob.

Some installation instructions:

http://www.bluelinxco.com/UploadedFiles ... 103610.pdf

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Steve S.

Fantastic information from those that have been there and done that! Thanks a lot guys...I now have the confidence to go forward...should be a breeze now! :D Great website and forum...I'll let you know how it goes.
-Steve