replacing a water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

930dreamer

Hello, I need to replace my gas water heater and the floor under it. I looked at new water heaters and the box for the MH heater said a RHEEM roof jack was needed? Thought about an electric model also, but the stove and furnance are gas also. Must a MH use a side water inlet? Does the electrc model have side inlets? Are electric water heaters 110V or 220V? This unit in an outside closet.Thanks ShawnImage
Greg

Most electric water heaters larger than 20 gal. are 220v. the only thing to remember if you switch to electric is you will need to have circuit & breaker for it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
930dreamer

Thanks, the gas ones are almost double the price of electric ones.
Yanita

Hi,

When replacing your water heater remember that you must get a MH approved gas water heater. An electric heater can be anyone that will fit into the space you have.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
tritontr

The MH electric waterheaters have side inlet and outlet. Follow Gregs advice above on wiring.
DigitalDreams

You may want to replace it with electric as they can be blanketed for additional insulation and many models if you check with your electric provider can be net metered for cost savings and have rebates attached to them from your electric company.

I know my local electric coop gives a 75.00 rebate with any energy star qualified water heater which if you buy one of the top end ones really takes a bite out of the cost to your wallet in the end.
TonyPa

tritontr wrote:The MH electric waterheaters have side inlet and outlet. Follow Gregs advice above on wiring.
I noticed mine were on the side. Now I know why. I know in my house I am in now, there on the top. I didn't know they were different in Mh's. Here's a photo of MH electric one, with side inelt and outlet. Ignore my floor, I am still working on it...