pop-up tub drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mvintx

Hello. The popup drain in my bathtub does not drain well at all and I'd like to remove it to see what the problem is. When I unscrew the drain cap there is a plastic piece with what looks like a large screw in the center. I've tried loosening the screw but it's either waay tight or not a screw at all. Can anyone shed some light on this device? Thanks.
930dreamer

Can you take a picture? Does it drain with the cap off?
mvintx

The cap screws on to the threaded plastic collar and the collar snaps down to seal the drain to the cap. The screw head in the middle looks to be a way to remove the entire valve but it won't budge and I don't want to force it until I can find someone who knows for sure. Yes, it drains somewhat better but still not good enough. It never has drained well and I'd be happy with a rubber stopper.

[img][img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235 ... _3026a.jpg[/img][/img]
peachlizzard

I have the same kinda of drain. I have taken mine out of the garden tub many times to unclog it. You need to unscrew the big screw in the middle. I have since taken that thing out and just replaced it with a rubber stopper. It is much easier. When I first tried to unscrew mine it was ver difficult also. Just a little elbow grease and it will loosen! Good luck!
mvintx

Thanks, Rhonda. That 's exactly the info I was looking for. I'll just get a bigger screwdriver. Have a great day!