Putting laminate flooring in home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

If you have done it.What was your opinion?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Good idea works well.
60%
Bad idea stick with carpet.
No votes
Basicly no difference go for it.
40%

Total votes: 10
DigitalDreams

My question is :
Has anyone here put laminate flooring in their DW and if so does it handle the flex a mobile home on piers has well.

We want to remove carpet from hallway and 2 rooms and put down 5/8 laminate
but not sure how it will look, as most of you not on foundations know that there is a certain amount of movement summer to winter in such a home.

The reason for asking this is I done my computer room ceiling in
tongue and groove knotty cedar and have noticed a certain amount
of seasonal flex in it, nothing pronounced, but enough at least I notice it.
I realize that it is basically a floating floor covering but carpet hides
imperfections and not so sure about laminate so would appreciate
anyone who has it in a home that has noticed seasonal movement
telling me how well it has worked for them.

Yes it will be crossing the marriage line in the living room if that makes a difference.
JD
Site Admin

I think it depends on the people using the floor. My dad was a cook and he always said "It's good if you like it".

I have installed the wood type laminate in very nice homes in adult parks. It really seems to work well for those folks and they like it very much. I have also seen homes with high traffic from kids and dogs where it did show wear pretty quick. It is also pretty slick so the running dogs may have helped wear the floor out.

Laminate has really improved over the years and there is some real nice product out there. There are liquidators and close-out stores that can have really great prices. I think laminate flooring is a DIY dream product when it comes to installation.

I do not recommend laminate for wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms for the most part. Again, very conscientious people with good area rugs may fair well though.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Laminate floors can be great, but watch the quality. We installed laminate from a Liquidator in our daughter's that was one step from cardboard with a gloss finish. If you set damp shoes on it, 30 seconds later you can actually it swell up.

Also watch the return policy of the store, Liquidator does not know you as soon as you walk out the door. They give new meaning to "Cash & Carry. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would imagine that a poor quality product would perform the same regardless who you buy it from. Here in my area, the largest flooring center has a secondary store that sells their discontinued styles, over-orders and large returned orders from developers. They carry products from the cheapest to the best. What ever they can get the low price on is fair game.

JMO
JD
Last edited by JD on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

You are right JD, but most stores stand behind what they sell. the problems started within a few days of installation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DigitalDreams

Thanks for the input, had planned to use the quality stuff as wife wouldn't settle for cheesy you know wives its the look and the
look always costs 3 dollars a sq ft more.
texasprairierose

DigitialDreams,

I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. About six years ago, we put laminate down in our kitchen, laundry room and guest bathroom and although it looked nice...I hated it! It showed EVERY water spot, and EVERY crumb. I am sure that it would have been a whole different story if we had not put it in the rooms that had water in them.

Last summer we started a remodel on several rooms and we took the laminate up in the kitchen and laundry room and replaced it with resilient vinyl tile. We also took the carpet up in the den and dining room and in the next few weeks will take it up in the living room. We replaced the carpet with vinyl planks that look like hardwood. It is a free floating floor but it does not have the hollow sound when you walk across it, plus this floor is waterproof. When we tell people that it is vinyl, they don't believe us and they get down on their hands and knees to feel it.

JD
Site Admin

Those rooms look great! Should be in a catalog or brochure.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

marriednamobile

wow- what vinyl tile is that, I was just tossing vinyl vs laminate back and forth for the carpeted rooms in my MH (literally tossing- I have the samples) that floor looks great!
I settled on the vinyl, I found a great sub for the laminate (chocolate brown wood) and it's way easier to install and replace, let alone cheaper!
The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest, and most beautiful of all.
DigitalDreams

Thanks for info on vinyl have seen it at home depot but wasn't sure
how it would hold up as we plan to do living room,computer room and
hallway which are all high traffic areas.
Just curious how long you have had it in,and also had thought about putting floor heat strips under living room section as this room because it is big is always a little cooler than rest of house.
I like the look of it in your picture as our living room is setup with fireplace in corner somewhat like yours.
Not sure if it would take heat strips tho, will have to ask on that.
mikelol

Your room looks nice! Although laminate flooring is of a floating type. But it doesn't move too much. Just 8mm wide expansion space is needed between the laminate floor and wall.