Time for a new roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gram2logan

We have a double wide and the pitch is not the usual way. If you look at the house from the front or back, the pitch is in the middle and runs the short width of the house. It's also a very shallow pitch. Can a new metal roof like shown in the booklet on this site be used? We thought of putting one of those new type metal roofs on but don't know if the pitch would work. Obviously the cost is important and we would like to keep the total under 3 or 4 thousand. The house is 50 feet by 22 feet.

What do you think? Any other roofing ideas?

Thanks,
Barb
Stop talking before people stop listening!
JD
Site Admin

If your roof is similar to the pic below, or even with less pitch, it should still work. As long as you have a tall standing seam, the metal roof should work. I don't experience roof work with snow, but the tall seams lap at the top, allowing melting water to sun well below the lap, which is pointed down at the seam.

JM(warm weather)O
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hey JD, where's the pic?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Oooops.

☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gram2logan

JD, our pitch is long ways - the length of the house instead of the width. And I think it's just a little bit more pitched than your picture but not much.

But my hubby has just informed me that he's going to put a real pitched roof on the house. Lord help me when he starts that!! I think he plans on taking off the old roof and putting trusses and the new roof on. We've already discussed the weight issue.

The roofing is metal and you can see it at
http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/Mid ... &lineId=22

Menard's sells it. We don't know yet what the cost is though.
Stop talking before people stop listening!