Getting rust off tongue before priming

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Vintageliving

I've been using a drill with a wire brush on it, and working at getting flaky paint and ancient rust off the tongue.

How smooth and clean does this need to be before it's primed?

Is there something better than the wire-brush that fits in the drill?

It's a much bigger job than it looked....

I hope I've posted this in the right place.

Thanks very much!
Greg

It depends on the quality of the finish you want. If you want an automotive quality finish, than you have a lot of work to do. But if all you are looking for is to get paint to stick than a wire brush and good metal primer will do.

There is a product called Extend that you brush on and seals rust, it dries black I have had good luck with it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

Wow, hope you didn't nick your teeth with that wire brush, and primer tastes awful I bet. lol.
There are paints that will adhere, stabilize and stop rust. I never heard of the one that Greg mentions, but I have heard of POR 15. Same thing probably. They use it a lot on car frames, etc. so you might be able to get something at your local auto parts place.

Jim
Greg

I've heard of that one too, I think it's the same thing. I believe Duro make extend, many hardware stores around here have it. Greg
Demolition

If you wire brush you need to prime right away. If it sets overnight the rust will magically re-appear.
Dont use oily rags to wipe the dust off. I like to use 70 percent Isopropyl alcohol because it evaporates and dont leave a residue.
If you ever use the Stop Rust Stuff in the posts mentioned above... you will be spoiled.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Vintageliving

Thank you! I'll get a fancy rust-stopper and use the alcohol first. Have used alcohol to clean other things first, and it does make a nice, clean surface.

I had bought Rustoleum primer and paint. Hadn't thought about Rust-stopper underneath.

Thanks again for your help.
TonyPa

The POR-15 is awesome. I use that when I am restoring my beetles. I use it on the floorpans, and frame rails. That stuff is outstanding. And durable.
I prefer to use a wire wheel on a drill, or grinder if you have one. makes the job quicker and easier.
DigitalDreams

Simple acetone will remove active rust we use it all day long at the metal shop to clean up structural beams that have sat out in the weather unpainted prior to being fabricated and painted with primer.

And when painting metal it is best to use a primer
coat prior to final color as not all paints have long life on bare metal,but most will adhere to a good metal primer for years.
steve

Did you say you are painting the tongue? Most homes I have seen simply unbolt them and store them underneath....out of the weather
Greg

That works, IF the tongue is bolted on, Many older homes were welded on. Greg
Dean3

Prolly the same stuff mentioned above but there is some kind of primer that chemically makes the rust part of the primer coat..Afterward I bet a coat of Rhino Lining(used in pickup beds)would give a forever finish.

Dean
Vintageliving

Thanks for all your posts. I've written them down. I got some help from someone with a fancy machine, which got off the peeling paint and rust much better than the little drill-bit brush I was using.

My MH is over forty years old and the tongue seems to be part of the construction underneath the house.

Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions.