Dishwasher Air Gaps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

arcticcat18

Hello all,
First post so go easy on me. Why do I need a dishwasher air gap installed with my dishwasher? Little history, I have a 4 hole sink and want to add a sprayer. I am not sure about attempting to drill a hole in a stainless steel sink, so I am at a loss for options.

I am not even sure what the dishwasher air gap does, so if someone could help me out, that would be great!!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Air gap?? that's a new on on me. I don't have a clue unless it is a code requirement. It sounds like some sore of anti syphon device. perhaps others will know. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SpongeBob

Hi, all the new dishwashers are recommending that. as long as your plumbing is vented, (which it must be) you will not need the air gap. Go ahead and install....I did and it works perfectly! Hope this helps.
hvac1000

The air gap has been in the code in different areas for years. It is for sanitation purposes. It prevents sewage back up into the dishwasher in case of a plugged drain. We used to install them in a hole cut into rear of the kitchen sink. On stainless steel they were a pain to drill since it is a large hole. Many dishwashers feed into the pipe area on the disposal and these devices prevented disposal back up to the dishwasher also.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Mark
Site Admin

I never install air gaps anymore either. If you don't have an air gap, then you need to make sure the drain hose loops up towards the cabinet top. In other words, be sure the drain hose goes up then back down. If you do that, in most states its legal to remove the air gap as the hose tends to make its own air gap.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Maureen

I did this a few years ago, per Mark's advice and instructions. I haven't had a single problem with it! Works like a charm!

I was going through air gaps very few years due the hard water here. I was always having to mess with the darn thing just to keep it going for that few year period.

Just follow Mark's instructions about the drain line, and you'll be fine.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Robert

Hi,

I do same as Mark, but be sure your State and local codes are ok with not having the air gap.

Most and possible all are, but there always seems to be a few who are sticklers.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?