Waiting for Godot knows when

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I haven't been around for a while. When I had to re-register for the new forum, I decided to go back to the computer handle I've had since the late 70's :) Just so's ya know.

This is a partly-humorous and partly-frustrated post.

I was advised that I qualified for a partial grant for home repair. Since I've had water IN my walls in a couple of places for 3 years, I applied and got confirmation, with a 3-month limit for the work, already quoted.

I live in a rural coastal area of BC, Canada. The roofer concerned consistently oesn't do what he says he'll do, partly no doubt because he's got a captive customer base but also because (My area is called the Sunshine Coast although why I don't know because it has high rainfall) of what is locally and jokingly called "coast time". I was recently talking to a friend in rural Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK, about this and she said they have the same problem, only they call it "a Pembrokeshire promise". Another friend in Cornwall, UK, says they call it "Cornwall come-on".

Has anybody else enountered this? Anybody got ideas on how to galvanise said recalcitrant contractors?

FL (Nicky T)
MacAttack

The only way I know is to withhold payment or piece it out as the work gets done. Hot coffee and cookies can sometimes work also, or pleading worry that the grant will expire before the work is done. Finally, offering to help may work.
Greg

I would also let the grant people know of the problem, it may or may not help you, but it will expose the contractor. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

I'm guessing part of the problem is that the contractor gets no money until the work is done and he submits payment to the grant people, who take their own sweet time in paying. When contractors have plenty of cash-up-front work, it's hard to get them to come work on your home in a timely manner.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!

Thanks, all. Well, the way these grants work here is that you submit the bids to the government and then you get an approval letter giving you 90 days to get the work done and send in invoices for payment - they pay it to you to avoid hassles.

In my case there are two bids. One is to replace my rotten deck roof and the other is to provide a torch-on roof for my mobile, with real gutters, the torch-on being extended over the deck roof. I pay the difference. The same roofer put in both bids and they were accepted.

The approval letter was dated 9 March. I've thus got until about 6 June to get this done. Promises, promises and nothing happening. At this point my deck roof is actually starting to fall in a bit!

Apparently torch-on roofs are a specialty and not many outfits in my area do it. But that's what the government agent specified so that's what it has to be.

Yes, I'm sure that part of the problem is that the contractor doesn't get the money until about 6 weeks after the invoices are submitted.
He knew that this was a grant item before he made the bid.

We're talking $6,000 Canadian here. No way could I come up with that sort of money all at once.

All suggestions gratefully received.

FL
Jim from Canada

If you are dealing with contractors in Canada then try the Holmes on Homes website. They have a forum there where you might want to post this same question. There is a good chance that you will get a reply from someone in your province even though it is based out of Toronto. Hope this helps.

Jim
kashton

I have to add my 2 cents to this and let you know the reasons for delays with grants. I am in northern B.C. I do have a copy of the B.C. Governments Grants program book since we sub-contract through-out B.C. Alot of grants won't even accept anything until you have three bids. Most contractors won't even touch grant jobs because they won't give money to the contractors for materials, and there is a mandatory 90 day wait period after job completion before the contractor gets paid, then it is still a fight. They shouldn't be giving two grants for separate jobs. The grant should be combined. One contractor, and then he hires subs for each specific job. Did you apply for the Rap grant?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!