tub surround caulking left go

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi all!
I just got done recaulking my tub surround .I had this all new,and caulked last summer,,but i guess the trailer shifted a bit over the winter?.I have the trailer blocked on gravel,,about 5 feet thickness of it,and cement patio stones under it...Did this thing shift that much to have the caulking leave go on my tubsurround?..or maybe i just didnt have enough on it in the first place..it is kinda bulged out at one part on the bottom (the surround). :(
Greg

Glen, If your doors & windows open & close normally without binding than I doubt the home has shifted. The first thing that comes to my mind is poor adhesion, or as you said the bead could be too small. Is there any movement of the tub when you are in it? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Hi Greg !
No the tub dosnt move at all, solid as a rock!..and the windows are opening up good.I did have to move the striker of the steel door a couple times over the winter for the door wouldnt stay shut,,then it was too close...etc....Anyway,,,i didnt put a whole lot of silicone on the tub surround,so yea,,,you may be right ....i proberly didnt use enough,,,but how much is enough,,about a quarter inch bead?..or more?.thanks
Mark
Site Admin

Also use the best quality of caulk that you can buy. Make sure its a brand name silicone designed for bathrooms. If it didn't cost $5-$6 a tube, then it's probably the cheap stuff.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

1/4 - 1/2" bead should be plenty, as long as it is smooth & even it will look fine. I use a tool from Caulk rite that I found at Lowes, it has a triangular rubber blade on it and it really does a great job smoothing it out without getting caulk on your fingers. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."