Floor vent problem?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

help4MH

Hi,
I don't know what is happening. But, when I walk around my one floor vent at the end of the MH, there is a decided squeak.

I'm wondering could it be something rubbing causing,this? I've pulled the carpet back and the floor looks OK as far as I dared to pull the rug back,which was 1/5". I know it sounds silly, but I just want to make sure I am not overlooking something going bad. Thank you in advance
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
Harry

Hi

My floor duct/vents make a lot of racket. Especially in the winter when the heater comes on. I think it is the thin metal ductwork "oil canning" as it expands and contracts.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Johnny

could your duct have come loose from the floor where the reg. goes into?
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
help4MH

Hi,
Sorry it took so long to get back, been busy. Um, I don't think the duct has come loose. I've taken the floor vent off, and I've pulled back the rug and it all looks good. It's just when I walk around the vent , approx. 1"x3" it really squeaks.

Is this something that happens allot? It doesn't squeak when I turn the heater on or off. It's when I walk on the floor. Any ideas? And thanks in advance. :)
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
Brenda (OH)

The home I just finished had the floor squeaked and bounced alot where the flooring went over the heating ducts.

turned out it the floor joists were extra wide space there, (more than 18 inches) and the floors had had water on them some time in the past.

I tried the trick of putting a strip of plywood into the duct and screwing through the subfloor to pull the wood up to firm up the connection of the register opening to the subfloor. it did not work out this time to stiffen the floor.

I ended up doing two different repairs, one was a subfloor replacement. the other was a floor over since it was the space in front of the furnace in the small hallway that lead to the backdoor.

you probably just need to try a few things like screw down the register. if that doesn't work, try the repair of placing plywood strips inside the duct at the register opening, with screws through the subfloor from above. after that, maybe live with the squeak? unless the floor is bouncing badly, then it gets to be a bigger project, but usually worth it. the reason it is usually worth it, is that when you remove floor that has been wet, you can replace the messed up insulation while the floor is open, from inside the home, instead of opening up the underbelly to do the insulation.

so lets hope it is the simple repair that works lol

Brenda