Newbie - Siding Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fisherpainting

Hi and thanx for the great forum. I purchased my 1977 Bendix two years ago and have made drastic improvements inside (knockdown finish on all walls, log cabin wallpaper on all perimeter walls, new plywood floors with laminate, etc., etc.). Anyway, I'd like to move to the outside and have a few questions. 1st - I'm thinking of siding the home. It is now typical metal siding, but I'd like to fur out with 1x4 PT, install foam insulation panels and cover with hardiboard lap siding. Does this seem feasible? I have no problems with how, although any ideas would be extremely welcomed, I'm just a little concerned about the additional weight. I was thinking vinyl, but I'm wanting to get a more rustic appearance and vinyl just wouldn't do it. 2nd - I'd like to add a screened front porch. I see in the forums that attaching to the home is a bad idea. Is there another way w/o having any roof water intrusion? I was thinking of free standing the entire structure and maybe install flashing to side of home over the roof? All ideas and comments are appreciated!
THANX!
NMBowtie

I would be concerned with the additional weight as well. Depending on what type of foundation you have, you may be able to do some perimeter blocking to help support it. Another alternative may be something like this:

http://www.vinyllogsiding.com/index.html

I don't really know anything about the product, but came across it in doing some research for log or cedar siding I am considering for my house. Just an alternative.
Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
Greg

Hi & welcome. As always weight is an issue with mobile homes. I think you might be OK as it is, but you could add permiter blocking to make sure.
Many homes that age had hardboard siding and I believe the weight would be about the same. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."