using existing skirting railings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

solveg

Can I keep the railings that are already installed? the skirting is secure, it's just jull of holes....

Solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Maureen

Hi Solveg,

Honestly, I'm not really sure if they are universal.

Hang in there and I'm sure that someone with more experience will chime in soon!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi Solveg

If you are talking about vinyl...yes you can if the parts to be reused are in good shape. You may not get a perfect color match.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
solveg

Thank you. At least I know it's an option.

My problem is that I'm indecisive about how in-depth to go with this place in the time frames I'll be here. Everything seems to take so long in the country... getting parts, getting people to come out, etc.

I'm here for about another month. Once I get the skirting off, I'll know what I have to do underneath, but don't know how long it will take.

The skirting top rail has been caulked by ugly nasty caulk which could take forever* to get off.

So I'm thinking that the best solution might be to replace just the skirting panels so that the bottom is protected, and then work on the caulking as an ongoing project.

I'm really unsure of my skills, so every time I take something apart, I'm unsure if I can put it back together. I was washing windows last night, and one just fell apart! Took me a half hour to figure out how it worked....

Solveg
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
JD
Site Admin

Could you post us some pictures to see?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
solveg

My first DIY attempt and I've decided it's too complex for me. I'm hopeless.

I had been given one estimate of $2000 for work and labor to repair skirting, and 3/4 of it was labor (you guys said vinyl was pretty easy, too) so I thought I would try it. But I just know there will be something "special" about this job that will go bad. So I drove 45 minutes to a local mobile home supply shop and found the coolest* guys there, and they gave me numbers to people they trusted to do the work. I have yet to get them down here, but the the rough estimate was way* way* lower, and he can do other things that need doing that are a bit too much for me, like replacing a window and the doors and releveling the home.

I'll let you guys know how the actual* estimate goes, but these guys seemed like they were sincerely helpful. I guess I'm wimping out just doing interior stuff, but I'm only down here for short periods of time, and I have more than enough to keep me busy.

Solveg