Thermal Zones...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ncsu

I am looking at purchasing a double wide with a thermal zone 1 rating. According to the HUD map, I need a thermal zone 2 since I am located near Greensboro, NC. If I purchase this home, can I make the necessary improvements to get it to a thermal zone 2 rating? What exactly is the difference?

Thanks!
Brenda (OH)

Each manufactured home must be designed according to the federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards at 24 CFR 3280, commonly called the HUD Code. The HUD Code stipulates, at §3280.506, that the home shall be designed and constructed to conform to one of three thermal load zones. The appropriate thermal zone value used in design is dependent on where the home will be initially installed. Homes designed and constructed to a higher Thermal Zone can be installed in a lower Thermal Zone (a home designed to a Thermal Zone 3 can be installed in a Thermal Zone 1 or 2). However, a Thermal Zone 1 home cannot be installed in either a Thermal Zone 2 or 3 area.

I found this info on a site that manufacturers mobile homes. I would wonder if it is not an initial install, can you do it legally? most likely causes of issues would be if you are going to carry insurance, can you get it underwritten (that means, will a company be willing to insure it and will they charge a reasonable rate) , and what are the legal issues? is the roof designed to take the snow load, how much insulation can you realistically add to the walls, attic space, etc? are the windows going to have to be upgraded?

hope you can find the information you need to make an informed decision, and that you can get accurate cost information also.

Brenda (OH)