doing a roof over

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

geraldk

need some advice on a roof over..i need some advice on material choices.... i bought marks book and the corigated metal they show doesnt say how thick it is i found some here but its from 30 gauge down to22 gauge and im wondering if it will bend enough to follow the contour of the old round top roof of my m/h any advice b4 i buy some material would be appreciated
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Greg

There are a few thoughts about that. I believe that JD, our roof expert does not recommend doing the 1 piece curved style, but others here have done it with great success. I'm sure you will have people that have done both styles adding their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Actually, I have recommended Mark's plans for the corrugated roof on curve top mobiles several times. The only reason I do not install them with my business is I would have to draw up plans and get an engineering report on each roof I do (California code). This added cost to the customer as well as contractor rates on labor would make this roof less attractive as a purchase. But for a DIY project or for a non-permitted roof, this metal roof is a very viable product.

While I have not installed one of these roofs myself, I have full confidence in Mark's recommendation. My first job taking me from employee to contractor was when I built pole barns. This was 30 years ago, but I think the metal is the same. We used 28ga painted steel. There was never a time when we were required to install the metal on a curve, but I am pretty sure it would have no problem at all. When handling the metal around the job site and on the roofs, it would flex quite a bit just carrying it around. The roof product I do sell now is .019 aluminum laminated to 3" EPS foam panels. These panels seem more rigid to me than the corrugated steel. I have been installing these panels on curved top roofs for about 18 years without giving it a thought.

So to answer your questions geraldk, I would personally think you could use the 30 gauge steel if you want, but there may be forum members that have personal experience they can offer. Also, you could ask the company that you are buying it from. You can tell them you are spanning 12' with an 11" curve or whatever the actual measurements are.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
geraldk

ty all for the commentsi found this site www.vicwest.ca that supply home repair centres up here and i contacted them by email and they are working with my local rona (supply store ) to let me actually try diff. styles and thicknesses to see what works
im not a dr. but ill take a look