Metal Exterior Door Peeling in Sheets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BeachBoy

Metal is so difficult to get paint to adhere to it. I have a metal exterior door on a rental in which the paint is peeling off. I do not have the luxury of taking the door off for several days to scrape, prime, and paint. The door is on a MH out in the country which has a glass storm door. I am sure that the tenant would not feel safe at home and especially when he is away.

Can I find a new door that I can replace this one without replacing the door casing? I doubt it. Any suggestions on what I need to do?
JD
Site Admin

What is the size of the door? We had a customer with one of those metal doors with the plastic gingerbread trim on it, to make it look like a sculpted panel door. The vinyl cladding was peeling off. We replaced it with that ReliaBilt door with the blind built into the glass. We bought the door as a pre-hung, since that was what they had in stock. We pulled the door out of the jamb and replaced the old door with it. It was a 36x80 which actually measures 35-7/8" x 79-7/8". The old door was a mobile home in-swing with the aluminum frame. While the door blank itself fit, the prehung jamb that came with it would not fit the rough opening. Since this was a contracted job, it was much cheaper for her to have us just replace the blank. To strengthen the hinges, we drilled out those rivet type things and installed it with heavier and longer screws into the hinges to the home's framing.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.