re-introduction

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

solveg

I posted last August about getting a mobile home in KS as a seasonal home. I'm from Minnesota. I have been reading the boards, but I'm still daunted by the idea of doing anything, since I have no renovation skills. Or tools.

However, I just witnessed my dad buy a mobile home park on a lake, get rid of all but 9 of the mobile homes and totally gut and remodel them as a family place. He had to keep the existing single wides because of grandfathering in set-backs from the lake and because these are summer places, anyway. But he wanted to make sure they would last. He made them all look like 1920's bungalows. I'll post photos when I get back up there. Anyway, I learned a couple things by watching that project unfold.... these things are money pits, and for ever solution there arises 10 new problems.

The first thing I did down here was try and find someone to do the stuff I was scared of, like leveling the place. Well, the place still isn't level, so I'm going to try and get someone else to do it. Sigh.

I'm having a tornado shelter put in, and fencing for my dogs, and my first project on my own will be to put up skirting. The problem is that whoever set this up actually put half of the "air space" under the trailer below ground level. I can see why, with these Kansas winds, but will this impact anything about the skirting installation?

I also have baby kittens in my ductwork and what I think is an armadillo somewhere under my sink. I don't know... I'm a city girl. But I figure I'll need some repairs under there.

The whole place needs redecorating, but it's very sound, and I found a sticker that said it was hurricane resistant, so I feel safer in it. I've decided to tackle one room at time, and start easy. My front bedroom just needs the "wall treatment" and flooring and some closet customization.

Just wanted to let you all know who I was and what I was doing when I start constantly pleading for advice. Which will be as soon as the rain stops. Right now I'm still unpacking all the beat up furniture and stuff I brought down here with me. My only criteria was that nothing could be in the mobile home that I would feel bad about if a tornado ripped it away.
[/code]
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Greg

Hi & welcome. My first suggestion is to buy a copy of Mark's book. Since he is the owner of this site, and does work in the industry he wrote it in a generic but comprehensive way. It covers about every aspect of repair you are likely to encounter. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
solveg

Yup! I've had it for months!
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
Maureen

Hi there and welcome back to the site!

I'd advise you to get the critters out before you try to put the skiting up. It will be a little easier this way.

As far as the skirting height goes, I'd have to see how much room you actually have under your home on the home that goes below ground level. I'm not familiar with a set up such as that.

I'm sure that someone will come by with some advise for you!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Brenda (OH)

Dear Solveg,

the one room at a time approach works well for me, but it can be slower. For example, if you only paint one room, instead of two, you have to clean up twice. but the emotional boost of being able to say, one room down, 4 to go, etc. often has been well be worth it to me.

and besides, you can use a disposable paint tray liner, and and cheap roller cover, and throw them away, and clean up becomes very fast and easy lol

One of my favorite things to do, if you absolutely know you are getting rid of the floor covering (especially carpet) is to leave it down and paint, without using a drop cloth, if you are going to put n flooring of a similar thickness, or if you are going to put up molding afterwards. I really enjoy not having to worry about drips or even dropping the brush, or the roll, or tipping the paint tray, ... (yes, I get clumsy if I get too tired while rehabbing)

good luck on the rehab, it can be exciting returning a property to loveliness and better functioning.

One thing which I did find discouraging. Often when I would go to show friends that were guys the work I had JUST COMPLETED, they THEN would tell me how I could have done the work better/cheaper/faster another way.

this especially would get to me if I had mentioned multiple times before I did the work what I was up to, and asked if they had any adivce lol. It must be some sort of single female thing miscommunication I do. I try to say thanks, store up the ideas, and just realize that as long as I and my buyers like the repair and the area works, it is good...

the book is a great reference. even if you hire out the repair, reviewing the repair ahead of time will help you work with contractors. You can discuss with them how they plan on doing the repair, and if it seems very different from the book, you can have them give you a bid, come to the forum, and ask questions, and get back to them. and remember, your only leverage for getting the repair or work done completely is to not pay too much up front, final payment is the best motivator for staying at the top of the line for the contractors schedule.

please do not think I am overly cynical. I have had an apt building for 7 yrs, and have been working on 3 mobile homes since August, and each time I have paid the contractor more than half the discussed fee, delays started occuring. flip side, I could just have had a streak of bad luck there, every thing did eventually get completed, and with good quality.

Solveg, I wish you fun, be bold, most repairs can be tweaked, redone, or updated in the future, that is the fun part. almost all mistakes can be corrected, as long as you don't flood the place, or burn it down!

sorry, I better go get some sleep...... losing the happy tone...lol
been under the MH too many times this week... And the neighbor continues to tell me tales of the 6 and 7 foot black rat snakes that live at that end of the MH park.... just have to keep telling myself, which to I prefer, seeing a happy big snake or several mice or rats....

Brenda (OH)
Yanita

Hi, and Welcome to the site.

Do not let others horror stories discourage you from fixing your own. About anything can be a money pit, like my landscaping project LOL.

Getting rid of any pest, kittens and armadillos are a certain must before the skirting is installed an secured. Set live traps and remove and relocate them.

As for the kittens if they are in your duct work, that will be the next area of repair to be done. Since they are in it then there is a hole in your duct work that must be sealed in order for your AC/furnace to function properly and to get the most efficiency from it. Repair the hole, and check all ducts for damage and then make sure the insulation is put back up. Then secure all the underbelly material properly. Install the skirting to keep everything safe underneath. We can discuss all this as each repair takes place. Having the manuel already gives you an idea of how it needs to be done.

Redecorating...I like the one room at a time as well. At least that way you always have one room that you can go to that is finished, for me that has a calming effect and a sense of accomplishment.

When painting, if you have a couple area that are going to be painted the same color but you are not going to do the at them same time you can put the roller or brush in a plastic bag and it will be fine for a couple days. I have done this a few times myself. :D

Kansas winds and skirting...in the Book/Parts link you will find wind rods for skirting. Might be a viable option for you depending on what type of skirting you install.

Hurricane resistant...hmmm, thats a new one on me. I have seen and have a wind zone rating on my home. Although this is a zone 3 home, with stands hurricanes better than a zone one, I sure would not classify it as resistant.

Re leveling your home, IMO this is best left to the pros unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing and have all the proper tools/knowledge to do the job. Marks manuel covers this, and remember who ever does the relevel should be using a water level!

Hopefully I have covered your questions. Feel free to keep asking your questions, that's what we are here for.
Have a great day!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hurricane "resistant" Does that mean that it was able to hold up to 90 mph winds before the 125mph hit?
If you need advice before starting a job, just ask, everyone here is more than willing to help. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."