stuck storm door help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

allthumbs54

Hi,
We are having a problem. Trying to repalce a damaged storm door. Whoever installed the door used some kind of calk/putty between the door and the door frame. The door frame is OSB board and we have no clue how to get the thing off with out messing up the frame. Help, help , help :shock:
D.J.
Greg

I'm going to move this to the repair section. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

If the caulk is dried out then an old knife might not work so good. Maybe try a 1" chisel and hammer. Easy does it. Try using the bevel of the chisel laid toward the wood,,the flat side with the sharp edge might dig in if You don't.

How to use a chisel without gouging is tougher to explain than I thought when I started typing. Try looking at pic 1 and 2 at this link if you aren't familiar with chisels. Removing old dry caulk might be similar to removing the strip of wood in pic 1,,pic 2 shows the bevel.

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17903/2/

Sorry I couldn't find better illustrations. Take Your time and steer the chisel handle up and down as You tap it with a hammer and watch close. Final cleanup of dry caulk off wood can be a real @$&(^.

Dean
blbrade1

Usualy caulk doesn't stick to o.s.b. too well especially the edges I would trry just yanking tit off fast like a bandaid you shouldn't mess it up too bad. iIf it does end up tearing it all out then it probably needed to be replaced. I havent seen a pic but the o.s.b. shoudn't be the framing, just shimming.
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!