Front Door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

capalme

I have a mobile home, single wide, with an expando section. For some reason, during the winter months, the front/outside door will not close. When it warms up, it goes back to "normal". I've asked a couple of people and they have said that's normal, but I don't know about that. I'm guessing that I need to have the home re-leveled. Am I correct in that assessment. Also, about how much will it cost to do that. I'm trying to figure out my budget for this.

Thanks,

Craig
troyster

Hi Capalme! Yes it is normal if you live in a cold climate that reaches below freezing weather and you get frost heaves. In cold weather there is lots of expansion and contraction of building materials and the ground "pushes up" when it freezes. Around here its "normal" for the door to not latch in the winter but return to normal in the warmer months. What I did was to get a longer & slightly wider latch for my door and make the hole bigger. it solved my problem. good luck - Troyster
radoo99

My door is doing the same exact thing. pain in the butt to close it. when i close it i just lock the deadbolt on top the doorknob will not lock . it will go back to normal when it warms up.
Greg

Try taking the striker plate off untill warmer weather, it may give you enough room for the latch to work. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
troyster

sorry meant longer & slightly wider striker plate not latch. another late nite boo boo.