Newb question with pictures leaky wall and soft floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Ocellairs

Okay, I've been talking to a friend of mine who builds houses and have gotten great information from him, but I've been lurking around here for quite some time and figured I'd post for once.

I have a 1989 Marshfield 3 bedroom, 2 bath. There are water spots from where the furnace is located between the kitchen and master bedroom to the wall. The floor about 6 months ago was becoming soft right when you enter the bedroom and finally gave way.

Also, the leak comes out where the smoke detecter is and each time it rains, there's a puddle on the kitchen floor. I went up on the roof during the fall and siliconed all I could see where the furnace exhaust is and siliconed the shingles to the gutters and it helped some, but not as well I was hoping.

My question is, what's the best way to repair this leak and the damage done? I tore up the floor and found that the wall frame is built on the particle board floor. How do I repair this? With all the mold on some of the wood should I try to reframe the bad pieces of wood?

This picture is of the ceiling next to the furnace.

This picture shows the bedroom door closer to the wall from the furnace.

Here it is at the wall and I removed the smoke alarm to find out that water was coming from it down to the floor.

And he we go. I'm afraid that this is what it looks like about 7 foot wide along the wall. You can see discoloration in the vinyl on the other side of the corner.

I would like to thank in advance for any tips or ideas.

I'm planning on putting up dry wall in the bedroom and master bath and laying down new plywood and carpet. So I'm basicallygutting the entire back part of the trailer as is.
troyster

Before doing anything else you gotta stop those leaks before it does any more damage. If you get high winds w/rain or snow inspect your ridge cap vent to see if its sealing properly. How old are your shingles and what kind of shape are they in? They need to be replaced if they are deteriorating. Do not use silicone on flashings use a caulking such as neoprene or polyurethane or a coating like liquid rubber. Replace all those moldy bottom plates and studs & sister the moldy joists with new 2x8 or 2x10, remove all mold/rot. Replace rotten particle board floors with 5/8 tongue & groove plywood. Good Luck Troyster
p.s. make sure all wet moldy insulation is replaced no matter if it looks borderline.
troyster

sorry ridge cap vents are on metal roofs. my mind got a little fuzzy there. but I would definitely inspect the other vents, not just the furnace vent- remember water travels.
Harry

Hi

A leaking 20 year old shingle roof on a MH.

You may need a new roof.

I would get inspections and estimates from pro roofing companies.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Ocellairs

The shingles are only a few years old. They are in pretty good shape, I've been on the roof a couple of times to see if I could figure out where it was leaking from.

It rained today, first time since the fall. I started to feel the spot in the first picture and it's wet. The rest of the spots are dry, but there is a puddle on the floor where the discoloration is on the vinyl next to the door way.

Adding to the process. First I'll remove the ceiling where the water spots are and figure that out, then move down to the wall. Now I just need to put in some vacation days from work.
Greg

Hi & welcome. As Troy said, the first thing you need to do is get things sealed up. I would suspect the furnace vent or roof jack is to blame.

With some work and sharp chisel you can go under walls with a new floor. Use PLYWOOD or at the very least OSB. You can also sister in a cross joist near walls. You can do a search on subfloor repair for more ideas. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Looks like some mold abatement needs to be done. You should bleach-treat and replace what you can before closing the wall and floor up. That is, after you fix the leak(s). You do want to get into the attic space too to clean/replace what's above that ceiling.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Ocellairs

Thanks guys.

We are supposed to get snow tomorrow, after two days of being in the 60's earlier this week.

But I'm going to do what I can this weekend to find out where it's leaking at. I'm going to remove the ceiling and cabinets and have some help to on the roof with some jugs of water and see if I can spot it. If it is the furnace area, then get some of the Black Jack tar.
butch2

is it possible that there may have been ice damming ?

I feel bad for you :oops:

good luck with whatever path you decide upon to start the repairs
Ocellairs

Okay, today I put some black jack on the furnace vent/exhuast whatever it's called up there. The snow was melting already and I could see some puddling, so I dried it out and slopped that stuff on. I'm hoping it'll get into the cracks better when the furnace is on and when thes sun beats down on it over time until the summer hits. I'm going to do the water trick in a few days to let in that tar like stuff set in a while.

On the floor, I fixed it with a 2x6 piece of OSB 3/4. Well, at least I have it nailed and screwed down to where I don't have to use the joists to walk on anymore. I have one more soft spot to fix in the bathroom, but that's just because it's right next to the vent and the fan in there hasn't worked in a while. So I'm thinking the carpet has seen it's fair shair of water also.

I'm slowly, but surely pluggin' away.