insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chaslo

I was considering cellulose for the walls in my home. Recently I have found Tiger polyurethane foam insulation on one of the links on this sight. Cellulose I think would be alot heavier on the rim joist and had thought the foam might be better in the long run. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this product or any ideas on the insulation.
Maureen

Hi Chaslo,

I can't say which would be better in your home. Personally, because I have an older home, '73 model, I still prefer the fiberglass bats rated for my area and my home.

Maybe someone else will come along with experience in the other types of insulation. I'm not crazy about the newer types of insulation in older mobiles. But, that's just my opinion.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
chaslo

Thanks for the input. I was wondering on what you based your opinion, personal or some other basis? I found that my mobile had basically no insulation, ( one-inch). I have all the paneling and insulation down from 0ne-Half ( master bedroom, master bath and kitchen). I don't know if an extra layer of paneling constitutes insulation? I am living in the other half. IT HAS BEEN COLD!!!!!!
Most of the trees are turning brown. A couple of weeks ago I thought that spring was here. The trees were budding and green.
Things are reminiceint of fall.
JD
Site Admin

Hi chaslo,

I personally would use fiberglass batts. The fiberglass will offer R3.1 per inch where the cellulose is a R3.4. When you consider the downside of cellulose, it just isn't worth it. Cellulose is not only heavier, it also tends to settle more. You already mentioned having paneling, and this could tend to bow the walls. It can also have a warping effect on aluminum and vinyl siding. Then if (when) you get a roof leak, the cellulose will soak in nd hold the water, creating even more of a problem. With a leak, sheetrock, T1-11 and hardboard siding is at risk. Fiberglass batts can also do the same damage when wet, but water will move through fiberglass al ot better, creating less or no significant damage.

Insulations that would give a significant increase in R-value would be the polyurethanes and polyisocyanurate (polyiso). These come in foam board products and is also available in professional spray. Polyiso will end up with about an R-7 rating after a couple of years. The foil backed polyiso boards could be as high as high R-8s installed properly.

I still prefer fiberglass batts. I feel it is easier to install without voids which would greatly reduce the advantage of high R rated foam boards. Just my thoughts on insulation.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
chaslo

I have also been told that the boric acid that is added to cellulose is corrosive to the metal but that I could make sure that the aluminum is not exposed and be all right. Given that leaks will probably be a possibility in the future cellulose probably shouldn't be a choice. The spray on is what I'm thinking about. I think the spray on of one inch would fill voids and stop air leakage and then I can add batts then cover the walls with 1/2" sheetrock. I will not be putting the paneling back on the walls. Before I started this remodel the wind would blow right through the mobile walls and come through the paneling via electrical outlets and switches tops and bottoms of the walls etc.
thanks
Maureen

Hello,

I base my opinion on what JD mentioned to a T! I'm a pretty knowledgeable homeowner, JD is a professional.

Save yourself a lot of time and money and re-insulate with fiberglass bat.

I have an older home also, I know what's behind my walls. There are also quite a number of other ways to weatherproof your home. Most are pretty inexpensive also!

Like JD mentioned, if a leak should occur, it's much easier to take out the fiberglass insulation and replace it. We cured the wind blowing through the electrical outlets with insulators. These sell for just a few bucks at Wal Mart, or any home store. I just prefer the fiberglass for our homes. I'm not that familiar with the spray on stuff your speaking of. My thoughts are that it won't have any 'give' once it's installed. Our homes are designed to move!

The bottom line is this. It's your home! If you feel the need to use the spray on, that's your choice! Keep us posted and let us know how it's working for you!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'