Sewage line

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jazzbo

In response to the drain,we were told that the sewage tank may be full--causing bugs,ect.. to come up out of the drains in the home. Is there a liquid we can use to counter-attack them ??
Yanita

Hi,

That does not sound right to me. We have and still do have a septic...when it is full all drains will start running sluggish. NEVER any bugs...do you have 2 bathrooms and only use the toilet and sink on one. If so the second tub buy not getting used the drain trap could be dry, this would cause smell and maybe bugs....

Yanita

PS...to reply to your threads please click on the "reply" icon under the last response. This will let all the questions/responses be in the same thread and not scattered around.

Thanks
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jazzbo

Hello friend!! Thanks fer da reply. I also did'nt believe that info given to us either. We do have a few plants indoors.Maybe they are causing these fleas/bugs. First will do the foggers & go from there. Never had this problem before so kinda guessing at it all!! Have a great day-- Ron :P
Dean3

If I remember right there are gnats or something like that wich can breed in or around the drain traps. Not sure how they could if the water is run through daily,maybe the eggs hatch fast or something.

Drain Flies,,does that sound familiar?

--Drain Flies

Also called moth flies, sewer flies or filter flies these true flies have bodies and wings covered with numerous hairs. If crushed they leave a powdery smudge

Drain flies, or moth flies, can be found in moist, highly organic debris areas such as sink drains, sewage treatment facilities, storm drains, dung and rotten vegetation.

Adults range in size from 1/16 to ¼ inch . They may be yellow to brown /black in color.

During daylight, they will often be found resting on walls near drains.

Adult female drain /moth flies most often lay their eggs in masses on the surface of gelatinous film found in drains and sewers.

They may also breed in moist, shady areas outdoors such as under potted plants, in bird feeders and baths, in moss, in clogged roof gutters, under air conditioners, in thick mulch, or on wet ground areas.

The larvae feed on decaying material that collects in drains. In natural settings, moth fly larvae feed on decaying plants and animals. Most moth flies are harmless to humans, though they may transmit bacteria and other microorganisms from their breeding sites to areas where people are. Moth flies do not bite. Adults live about two weeks

Control

Finding the sources of breeding and eliminating them is the best control.

Floor drains, overflow cuts in sinks and tubs, sump pump pits and sewers can accumulate organic matter but often do not receive enough water to flush the waste down the drain.

They may be common in laundry and floor drains, toilet and shower drains.

The drain/moth fly larvae feed on the sides of the drain and in the drain trap if there is an accumulation of organic debris there. You can check it by placing some tape over the opening (leave some opening for air flow). If you find these flies stuck to the tape , you have discovered the source.--

From here;
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/flies.htm#drain

I have good luck killing insects with soap/water mix in a mist bottle,,dunno what too much liquid soap would do to a septic tank tho.
Yanita

My question, which was not answered was...If you have a second bathroom and the toilet and the sink are being used BUT the tub is not that drain could of dried up, hence some bugs. I had this happen to me.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dean3

Agreed Yanita,I think it's the same idea with floor drains and such,they rarely get water. A showstopper for bugs in a drain would be soap poured in,coats them then they can't breath through their skin/bodies,exoskeleton,,lol,or whatever it is.

As for Me,I have to remember to rinse beer cans or I get beergnats! :D

Dean
Jazzbo

Yanita wrote:My question, which was not answered was...If you have a second bathroom and the toilet and the sink are being used BUT the tub is not that drain could of dried up, hence some bugs. I had this happen to me.

Yanita
Sorry 'bout that! We do have a garden tub which we rarley use,but has a stopper plug in it. It's located in the rear of the home&the 'lil black bugs seem to be in front. Not a big problem(mom cleans well)as there are only a few flying around. Just concerned where they are coming from. The foggers hopefully will eliminate them!!! 'preciate your input !!