Mild Clunking noise

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

haley10594

Not sure where to post this. It doesn't seem to be heat/air related.

I have a double wide. In one bedroom there is a mild clunking/rattle noise that seems to come from under the heat/air vent. It is constant and is there whether or not the heat/air is on, summer or winter. It is pretty steady at about every 20-30 seconds.

The grandkids don't want to sleep in there because they think it is a ghost! :roll:

Robert, where are you in TN?

Thanks,
Haley10594
Dean3

Just tell the kids it is Casper The Friendly Ghost! Tell them they can wish to casper for a piece of candy,then,when they aren't looking,put the candy near the vent! Kazammo! No more scared kids! Zippin around with a sugar buzz but not scared!

I can understand noises when it is running or heating up or cooling off due to expansion and contraction,but for it to be steady when climate control is off(and no wind outdoors?)is a mystery to Me. I'll be interested to see the solution.

Dean
steve

The fact that the clunking is consistant with heat/air on or off leaves me to believe that it is from water or electrical. Those are the only "active" systems on all the time. Electrical would have to be a motor, fan bad fixture in the crawl space. Plumbing could be water line bouncing off duct (resonance) as water passes thru but with water off...you would have to have a leak.
Look in the crawl space for the culprit..water puddle...blinking lt fixture. With no systems operating...there is no reason for noise and wind from outside would not be consistant
Good luck