Gap around bathroom sink

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Betsy

I have the oval plastic sinks in my bathrooms and lamintated plastic (Formica-like) counter-tops. In one bathroom the "builders" cut the opening in the counter-top too big for the sink so there is a gap. I've tried shifting the sink to cover the gap but it doesn't help, the gap just appears elsewhere. I am not at all good at squeezing a uniform and attractive bead of caulk from a tube and am certain if I tried I'd end up with something way worse looking than the gap. Is there anything I can buy, something in a roll maybe, and possibly peel-and-stick, that would hide the gap and end up looking nice? The gap is only about 1/8". Thanks.
flcruising

An 1/8" gap is not much, but I think caulk is your best bet. The 'trick' to caulk is not laying a perfect bead, but taking a damp finger and pressing/smoothing the bead into place right away. It doesn't take much pressure to do, but with gaps that won't have a backer like yours, you may want to lay 2 smaller beads to build it up. Letting the first dry completely before doing another. It's real easy actually to finish off a nice bead of caulk.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

Check at the home centers in the caulk area for a "caulk tool", The one I have is a triangular rubber tool about the size of a tooth brush that smooths the bead. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
shadow745

Also... I'd suggest you use latex caulk, as it's much easier to work with (allows more work time to smooth out), has virtually no smell and washes up with water.

I personally think a wet finger is the only way to smooth out caulk. Those "pro caulk shapers" are just another gimmick IMO and just don't work as good as they advertise from what I've seen. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
steve

Use a siliconized/acrylic caulk (like polyseamseal) after laying in adequate bead, finger in to seal to sink and top. To finish off...just take a wet sponge and wipe gently removing eccess (sp?) until desired look is obtained
Dean3

I agree with silicone caulk and acrylic is usually good too. It will cost $5 a tube but is worth it. Clean the area,dry,apply a 1/8" bead as fast and nice as You can,then tool it with Your finger tip. If You don't like the look just peel it out and try again,one tube of caulk will circle the sink many times so You have practice material.You may want to position the sink and secure it from underneath 1st. It would suck to get it nice then have the sink move somehow. Look around Your home and see if there are other areas for any leftover caulk,it will keep for a while but not forever.

another fix might be a slightly larger sink or one the same with a larger lip to cover the hole.

Dean
Betsy

Gosh - lots of good advice here. Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. Betsy