Carport

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

I have a older 12 x 65 single wide, and am going to start looking into getting a carport. I have no awnings or anything, and would like something over the door, then thought about extending over the driveway. Anything I should know first? I know nothing of them, but a lot of neighbors have them, I think there is a known company that does a lot in our park. But any tips?
NancyKay
NancyKay

I think I have a picture of my place in my album. the driveway is right across from the door.
NancyKay
Harry

Hi NancyKay

Around here (and lots of other places) the carport has to be free standing. The only part that can be attached to the home is the flashing.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Nancy Kay,

Hmmm, you do not have a completed profile so I do not know what state you are in.

I do not know building codes for all areas, but I can strongly advise not to attache this your home.

An aluminium carport does not weigh all that much but if you are in an area that has heavy snowloads then you do not want something like this attached to the home. Same with if you live in a hurricane zone area such as myself.

I just checked out your album, as you said you could place the carport on the concrete slab, then you could build or have built a porch roof over the front door. There are several in the park that I lived in that were constructed with 4 4x4 pressure treated posts, a few 2x4's and that corrugated fiberglass stuff they sell at Lowe"s.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Nancy Kay,

I can't really add much without a profile. A lot hinges on the area that you live in and the year of your home.

All of us moderators try to stay informed as best as we can. But... all of our the size of our homes, areas and age of homes play a very important part when answering questions.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We need basic information about your home. Doubles and singles make a big difference! If you live way up North, or in the South East, makes a big difference! The age of the home is huge! How is the home set up? That's also very important!

There are so many variables in each of our homes. The more details we have, the better answer you'll receive!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
NancyKay

I guess I don't know where/how to put in my profile. I also want to put a picture in my messages, like you guys have your pictures, but I can't figure that out. I live in Southeast Michigan, like 20 miles from Good Ole Detroit. And yes we do get a lot of snow at times. I don't know what the rules/regulaltions are around here.

Can you direct me to change/do my profile?
NancyKay
Yanita

Hi,

When you log in have you gotten a friend invitation that you have not yet responded to...probably from Mark, he has set the program up so he automatically becomes your first friend. This will give you the MPS (my profile space) link just under the BLUE TASK BAR, under BOOKS/PARTS link.

To upload a pic in your post or reply post in that box in the upper right hand corner is a link that says "upload"...this is for pics.

The pics that show who we are are called AVATARS, once you get into your profile you can upload a pic of your choice, I believe there is a link that says AVATAR when you are editing/creating your profile.

Need further help, certainly post again. I have made several post to others about this as well. There is also a WEBSITE QUESTION forum that answer several questions, again at the top of the page in the task bar menu there is a link, first one that is called FAQ, frequently asked questions. If you still need help please post back.

~Yanita~

:D Hi. I was also wondering about putting a carport,on my older 1972 12X60 MH. The roof is origional,,and is good. So...i just put flashing against the roof,thats all?.I dont fasten it tightly?...Can i also put plywood on the walls of the carport?...As you know i live in Nova Scotia,and it does get very cold here in winter. can i just sit this on cement blocks?..Or do i need to pour cement slabs?.thanks.
Maureen

Hi Glenn,

Here's my thought on carports. As you well know my 40 foot aluminum carport went down with a load of snow on it 2 years ago.

Now, that old carport was attached to the home. It was all aluminum. But, the supports were were attached to frostline footers 3 feet down in the ground. I still have one left to dig up.

Here's what I suggest folk do. A wood framed carport, that's free standing. Yes, the flashing just overlaps the small area between the home and the carport. Fasten the flashing real well to the home and make sure that you check on it yearly. You've got to make sure that the posts are on frostline footers!

There's is nothing scarier then watching a carport go down. Even more scary, is having to get the car out out before it goes down. Hubby's car was under the carport at the time. I could hear the moaning of the weight of the snow. Grabbed his car keys, started his car up.. gunned it backing up, and proceeded to place it in a really deep snow drift LOL! Hey, all we had to do is dig the car out of the snow. It wasn't damaged by the carport!

Wood carports that are solid and a roof rake! You should be set!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'

Thanks Maureen
Ill make sure that the posts and studding will hold snow..lol..sorry about your carport!.Im also sorry for not replying sooner....i didnt get a notification in my email that you had answered my post.thanks again!! :D
Yanita

Hi,

Email notices on replies still are not working...sorry!

~Yanita~
NancyKay

Ok, I found what you said, I hope I can find it again when I go back in. But all the pictures I've been trying to add, are too big. so I guess I have to change them, or find some other picture for my avitar. One with less KB. Thanks for all your help. I think I can do it when I find the right picture.
NancyKay
Robert

Hi Nancy and Glen,

Here is a good site with instructions and material lists for lots of wood building projects, including carports.

Modify as needed on any of them.

http://www.buildeazy.com/

Always remember that carports, deck roofs, porch roofs, etc. has to be concreted into ground below frostline.

If not, in high winds, roof will act as an umbrella and it will take flight.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Maureen

Great site Robert! Thanks for the link! They have a few projects that are on my wish list LOL!

Yep Glen, none of the email replies are working yet. Ya just have to check in like the rest of us right now.

Folks, whatever project you decide to take on, you always need to check out your local codes first. They differ from county to county out here. Even if you have to wait until funds are available, it's well worth it! Do it right the first time. I think most of us have had to spend extra money on those projects that we inherited with our homes, that weren't done correctly.

If I can offer words of advice before any project, that would be to research it as thoroughly as possible first.

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Robert

Hi Maureen,

As always, you're very welcome. I go there sometimes for little project ideas or refer others there for same.

Pretty good site for DIY'ers and each is easily modified for each's needs.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?