Roof membrane/covering

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ronm

Hello. While up on my roof looking at the awful work the previous owners did on my roof. I noticed the neighbors roof had an interesting covering. It looks like a tightley wrapped white covering encasing the entire roof and screwed to MH around the soffit areas. I'm in FL so snow or ice is not a concern. Do anyone know what this covering is? I would have just asked my neighbor but no one is living there.
Thanks
Greg

It sounds to me like a form of membrane. I am sure that JD will add to this since he is our "resident roof expert"

You could also do a search for roof coating I know that it has been talked about here in the past. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

I'll take a stab.

This is one of the membranes We used on commercial roofs back in the early 90s. It could be something similar on Yer neighbor's.

http://www.dowroofingsystems.com/Produc ... palon.html
JD
Site Admin

This type of roof is called a "Single Ply Roofing", and it is basically what you described it to be. Basically a rubber type sheet that is usually installed over a layer of insulation board. A lot of people call them a "rubber roof", but the material can be different types of rubber product or a pvc product. They can be TPO, EPDM, PVC or a propriatary product which is a hybrid of one of these materials.

There is a huge difference in quality of these roofs, even within the same manufacturers. The single-ply material is usually offered in different thicknesses, which will effect the performance, warranty and cost of the product. Some big name products that are spearheading commercial applications is Verisco, Fiber-Tite, Carlisle, and Duro-Last. Generally, for mobile home/residential use, the product will come from or be rebranded by another company name, mostly due to warranty requirements of the big companies.

These are a very viable roof product for mobile homes, but as with most materials, installation quality will dictate just how good of a roof you will have. As products (materials) go, this would be one of the better choices for mobile home applications. I don't feel they are nearly as good as my own roof product, which is a laminated, insulated aluminum panel. I like the strength and overhang features of my rigid panel product panel.
But if you are not in my area or have similar mobile home roof products in your area, the Single Ply Roof would be a good choice.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ronm

JD,

That's it. Thanks for all the info!
Ron